18| AN OLD FRIEND CALLS

The hole in someone's heart gets filled by others around you.

AS expected, Cassandra found Hayden in her house once she and Cora returned to Beacon Hills. They both got along pretty quick, leaving the youngest Argent slightly dumbfounded because she knew Cora was a bit unfriendly to strangers. They started exchanging stories about each other and left the brunette girl on her own thoughts. She didn't object to it because the more they learn about each other, they could work well together in the upcoming war. The minute Cassandra took out her phone, she surely received a lot of missed calls and texts from Theo, Scott, Nolan, Malia, Sheriff, even Liam. But much to her confusion, there wasn't a single text from Gabe and she wondered if there was something wrong with him.

And another bad luck for her, Deaton apparently sent the MRI result to her house and both werewolves accidentally saw what the paper was about. It was a bit frustrating for her since Cora and Hayden demanded an explanation for it, and they literally didn't stop to ask if she really was okay or not. She wanted them to just drop the topic and focused on the war that would happen soon, but they didn't budge it. They were all set for war, but not with her death.

At the end, Cassandra was forced to explain about the Black Hound's disappearance from her body that made a pernicious impact on her. Initially it was just regular blood vomiting, but over time the imbalance in her body caused some vital organs inside her stop functioning appropriately. Cora had learned a glimpse portion of her strength when they were confined together in a bank vault–she heard Deucalion described the creature as ferocious creature and its first instinct was to kill, but she didn't know that the creature was the one that supported her to survive.

Eventually after the two of them felt Cassandra had explained enough what they should know, Hayden decided that they need to rest. All of them had been traveling since morning, so it was better for them to drop the topic for a while and went to sleep. But, it didn't make Cassandra's curiosity dimmed after finding Cora alone earlier.

"Where's Derek?"

"Well, you know him." Cora shrugged and readjusted the extra bed on her room. "MIA, as usual."

"So, he just left you to fight the Hunters alone?" She frowned, tilting her head to the side in confusion. "Understandable. It's Derek Hale we're talking about."

"No." Cora denied defensively. "He told me that he would be looking for a pack – I don't know. He didn't explain in detail."

"What if he worries about you just disappearing out of the blue?"

"Derek? Worry? It doesn't look like a suitable match, Cass." Cora responded, laughing a bit. "He knows I can protect myself, so instead of worrying he'll just let me finish off the opponent alone."

Cassandra nodded understandingly. "Do you think he'll come here to help Scott?"

"Yes, no, maybe." She replied, dropping her body on the bed. "It all started in this town, so maybe Derek will consider coming here."

"You mean, he's going to come back for Beacon Hills?" The youngest Argent asked, eyebrows pinching together.

"Obviously not." Cora pursed her lips into a thin line as she stared at the ceiling above her. "He's going to come back for Scott."

Morning came incredibly fast, and she found herself preoccupied with supernatural cases again. Last night Cassandra had immensely strange dreams until it made her refuse to come back to bed again. How could she not? She dreamed about Jackson and Ethan who were tied and bathed in blood. Also she dreamed that almost everyone turned into stone, but not her. Her part was different. And it terrified the hell out of her.