22| BEACON OF HOPE

In peace, prepare for war. In war, prepare for peace.

THEY heard the roar – it was too obstreperous to miss it. Though not all of them were werewolves, they nabbed the sound vividly. The rain that flushed Beacon Hills seemed to be an augury that the sky was crying, convincing them that something had happened and eroding each layer of hope inherent in their fragile hearts. Chris didn't want to think negatively, but his heart was as if trying to persuade him to stop having faith that his daughter was still alive and well. Chris needed to hold on to his faith, at least he had to – for he couldn't imagine how his life would become without his only daughter.

In contrast with Theo, the boy no longer had the strength to believe that Cassandra was still with them in this world. He truly wanted to hold on to his positive thoughts, but the moment he felt the formidable pain earlier and heard the roar, part of himself as if had died in an instant. Was this retaliation for his past behavior? Was this the repercussions because he intended to leave her at that time? Was this the wrath of the world for him? For all he knew he had avouched all the mistakes he made and redeemed it by helping Scott and the others, but why did it still happen? Why he still had to lose his whole world?

And when they arrived at the Oak Creek, staring hopelessly at the scenery that subverted them into a rotation of an absolute desolation, Theo found his answer.

A devil never deserves an angel.

Sobs instantly detonated in the atmosphere as they made their ways to the pair on the ground. The alliance gathered around the pair while staring blankly at Cassandra's lifeless body, but it wasn't arduous to notice the ghostly vestige of tears on their face. Blood on their bodies had been cleansed by the raindrops, and if common people had seen them and missed the part of their torn clothes, perhaps they wouldn't have believed that the alliance had just fought the army of supernatural creature.

In fact, not all of them here were aware that some of them were reunited once again with their old friends after being separated for so long. Wasn't it sad? Death was the one who brought them here all together.

Chris found himself taking over Isaac's place as he cradled his daughter in his arms, tears blinding his vision. "Hey – Cassie, I'm here. Open – Open your eyes, will you?"

Kate sat down across her brother and stared at the youngest Argent's pale face. After all this time not being able to meet her niece, Kate had to deal with the harsh patency that she no longer had a chance to hear her laughter and talk to her forever. And the sense of compunction soon ramified from the farthest base inside her soul. Kate was also one of the reasons Cassandra could end up like this. And much to everyone's surprise, Kate finally broke down in tears as she pulled one of Cassandra's limp hands closer to her face. It was a different situation when she heard Allison die. Cassandra's death greatly hurt her because if Kate didn't try hard to attest the brunette girl that she wasn't just a human, Cassandra wouldn't be like this.

If Kate had never written the letter, if Cassandra had never found it in the first place – none of this would happen.

"You have to – You have to wake up, Cassie." Kate pleaded, sobbing uncontrollably. "Remember we both still have a deal, right? We're going to visit Mont Blanc, hiking and skiing? Well, it was supposed to be with Allison, but she was gone before we could go. You told me to be there at nine in the morning and – and I had to be on time. I still hold on to that deal, Cassie, and since I'm back for good now, I – I won't be late. Nine o'clock sharp, please – please just be there."

Despite the heavy rainfall produced unnecessary hubbub, her voice was incisively heard in the others' ears. Everyone was observing at the heartbreaking scene and literally no one could stem the tears from dripping out of their eyes. Of all the families, they always hoped that the Argents were the one who could feel a slight portion of happiness. The world should have desisted hurling tragic tragedies at them. They had gone through a lot of sorrow, agony, bereave, and it seemed completely unfair if they had to once again face the downfall of their family.