Chapter Sixteen

"There's three of them- oh! Make that four," Ms. Goodplay giggled. They were over at Preston's old house, looking at the kittens. Max smiled as his boyfriend squealed and clung to his arm. "Aren't they cute?"

He nodded, scanning over the backyard. Preston let go of him and went to play with two small white kittens. He chuckled and caught sight of the mother cat by a tree. His gaze flicker between his lover and the cat before trotting over to the furry mammal.

"Hey, Mama," he cooed, crouching down in front of the calico. She started to purr as he scratched behind her ear.

Suddenly, an orange kitten pounced on his mother's tail. He swatted at it and tried to bite it. The adult cat gave her son an exhausted look before laying down. Max laughed and sat down next to them. "I feel you."

He glanced over at Preston, who was still playing with the white kittens. "Preston can act like that sometimes. But I still love him for it." He stroked the mother cat's fur. "I bet you're hella protective over these babies, too."

She let out a half meow in response. "Yeah, me too," he sighed. He felt something grab onto his leg and turned towards it. Sure enough, it was the same orange tabby.

"You're a rascal, aren't you?" The teen snickered, lifting up the tom. He meowed and wriggled out of Max's grip. The kitten landed in his lap and looked at him curiously. "Hi," he murmured.

The kitten sprang up onto his shoulder and started nuzzling his hair. He sighed loudly and the mother cat purred in amusement.

Preston noticed him from across the yard and laughed. The actor got up and walked over to them. "You seem stuck."

"Obviously," he whispered reaching up to pet the kitten. It grabbed his finger with a paw and tried to bite it.

"Aw," Ms. Goodplay murmured, coming to stand beside her son. "I think he likes you."

"I do too," Max sighed, turning to look at the young cat. It licked his cheek. He smiled and took the pet off his shoulder. "Y'know who this kitty reminds me of?"

"Who?" Preston asked, sitting next to his boyfriend. The teen wrapped an arm around the other's waist. "You," he said softly.

"You two are precious," the mother giggled. She slowly back away from them. "I'll leave you alone for awhile..." she said with a wink.

The taller male's face went pink. "Mom!' he groaned, earning a laugh from her. Max smirked and pulled him closer. "Yeah Presty, she's letting us do our own thing..."

Preston sighed in annoyance. "We are not going to fuck in my mom's backyard."

The black haired boy raised an eyebrow. "Damn. I wasn't going there, but now you're giving me an idea."

He rolled his eyes and focused on the orange kitten. "C'mere, kitty," he cooed, clicking his tongue.

It tilted its head to one side and meowed. Max sighed and rustled the grass in front of them. The cat scurried over.

"Aw," the auburn mumbled, stroking the small kitten's fur. "He's cute..." He glanced up, amber eyes meeting green ones. "Why does he remind you of me?"

"Well," the teenager's gaze darted towards the feline. "He's cute, like you. He's also energetic, playful dedicated, and seems to tolerate me."

Preston snickered at the last comment. "That's sweet, though. That he reminds you of me."

"Almost everything reminds me of you..." he said quietly, a blush creeping onto his cheeks. He watched his boyfriend's eyes light up. The theatre geek didn't say a word, he just leaned in and connected their lips.

Max crawled into the older's lap and grabbed onto his shirt. Preston's hands found their way to his waist and pulled him closer. The short boy smiled into the kiss and decided to risk adding tongue.

He laid back onto the tree and let the senior take over. Before they could progress any further, Ms. Goodplay interrupted them.

"You boys can do that on your own time," she said sternly. They broke apart, faces red. "Sorry, Mom!" the writer called out, sitting up. His boyfriend stayed in his lap, hugging onto him. He chuckled.

"I didn't know you could be so dominant..." he whispered. Max blushed and a growl escaped his throat. "Shut up, Preston."