Chapter Eight

There she was.

Monroe was sitting at this small in-the-wall café drinking a latte of some sort.

Just acting like a normal person – except she's not... normal that is. She's our definition of a monster and I finally get to come face to face with the person who killed Deucalion. Ryker should blame her for losing his father and not me – because I loved Deucalion like he was family. Throw shade her way and make her feel small like she already does.

This is my chance.

Fixing my hair, I casually walk over towards the table and sit down with my eyes fixated on hers.

"Can I help you?" questions Monroe who didn't budge a muscle as I sat before; but the arch in her eyebrow did show she was curious; and that sparked my fancy.

"I'm Charlotte."

"Okay?"

"Your worst nightmare." I say as I take her drink and sip it; before making a disgusted face and spitting the drink out on the ground. "Ew."

"Oh really now? What makes you an expert in nightmares? You don't even know me, princess." Remarks Monroe as she snatches her drink out of my hands and stares at me with a devilish grin. "You have no idea who you're dealing with. Walk away before you get hurt." This was my chance to officially out myself to the world and prove my worth. If my plan doesn't work and she attempts to kill me – well then I don't know what to do...I'm not going to kill her.

"Let me reintroduce myself. My name is Charlotte Hale. Nice to meet you finally after three years of constant torture to my friends and family. Your drink taste disgusting."

"Well this is unexpected. What do you want?" wondered Monroe as she cupped her hands over her knees and kept her dark eyes pinned on mine.

"Personally I want you dead, but not today. No, today I wanted to let you know who I am."

Laughing, "And you think you're powerful? That you'll be able to take me down? Funny."

Leaning my elbows on the table, I bend over and whisper into her ear with, "If I was being funny... a ha-ha would be at the end of the sentence. Don't underestimate me." Then I look at her neck and giggled, "I could change you in a heartbeat and then you'd be exactly what you're hunting. To be the one on the opposite end receiving pain. You and I both know who is coming on top – so stop before it gets ugly."

"Your kind shouldn't exist." Sternly states Monroe as she moves her hand off the table; and in that moment – I knew that she was quick on her feet and had an ace up her sleeve. One of the reasons, I wanted to meet her. To get a feel for her and her malicious and deplorable ways.

"And you shouldn't be killing us. I see we both have something in common." I sarcastically say as I lean back and cross my arms; waiting for her response.

"You know who the missing Hale is don't you? I see it in your eyes." Flatly states Monroe as she stabs her knife into my hand. "Don't you know that you should never trust a hunter, Charlotte?"

"It's the first rule. I was born into a family of hunters." I laugh as I yank the knife out and signal to Peter not to step in. "And to think you were smart enough to try and take me down with the mediocre stuff?! You can't kill me."

Her eyes go wide until she realizes that she isn't going to win this fight; and then she stands up while tossing money on the table. Looking down on me, she shakes her head and grabs her purse. "Don't put all your eggs in one basket, sweetie. People tend to surprise you when you least expect it."

"And you still don't know anything about us. You continually talk poorly and make us out to be the monster when you know nothing about us. We're not the monsters here. Why don't you look in the mirror before you judge people?" I say as I push away from the table and leave her speechless.

My job was done.

The ball is in her court now and what she does next will prove my point: we're all monsters in the end.

She was thinking of her next move and she's scared of the uncertainty that comes along with dealing with people like us; and now she doesn't have a defined plan; because as soon as I made my existence known to her...she started reeking of anxiety.

"How'd it go?"

"You didn't listen? Wow, you have changed."

Then he grabs my hand to make sure I was healed and not still wounded. Pulling my hand away from him, I say "I'm fine. Yellow wolfsbane is nothing."

"Did it work?"

Nodding my head, "Most definitely. Never saw it coming. Monroe is worried. Let's get back to the loft and tell everyone." We hopped in the car and never looked back at the scene that had unfolded moments prior.