Chapter 2

Knuckles rapped softly on the stall door. "Jane?" Will called from the otherside. "I know you're in there." He sighed after a moment. "Jane, come out here."

Instead of an answer all Will got was the door opening, and Jane walking past him to the mirror.

"Talk to me. What's going through that brain of yours?" He placed a hand on his sister's shoulder. A look of concern graced his face. The one thing he feared had happened. 

Shrugging off his hand, the brunette sighed. "This is the girl's restroom in case you missed the sign, Will." She replied coldly, ruffling her curls as she spoke.

With that being said, Jane walked out-leaving a speechless Will behind-and into the hall where the other three waited.

"You alright, Jane?" Lucas questioned.
"Yeah, you kinda scared us there." Max added on the her boyfriend's words.

Jane smiled a very fake, but convincing smile. "Yeah, everything is cool. I just didn't feel well for a second." She lied.

Sure Jane needed help, but not from them. They could do nothing for her. But she knew who she needed. She needed-the bell rang cutting through her thoughts.

"I got to get to class. Bye guys!" She started down the hallway, pausing only to wave at them.

"That's weird." Max said. "We have the same class, but she left me. On her first day?" She sent a puzzling glance down the corridor which her brunette best friend had vanished from.

Will suddenly opened the bathroom door. "We need to have a serious talk." He said directly to Max, pulling her inside and locking the door.

"What's so important?" The redhead asked, not exactly happy about being pulled inside.

<<>>

Jane leaned her head back against the concrete wall, huffing out a breath. It was lunchtime and she still hadn't found him. Surely they had one class together, right? Closing her eyes, Jane prayed to whatever was above to help her out.

The brunette felt someone side down beside her, figuring it was just Max or Will, Jane didn't bother opening her eyes. 

A few beats past before they finally spoke up, confusing her like crazy for the voice was not that familiar. "You broke my arm once." The male voice chuckled. 

Jane opened her eyes, and turned her head to face the brunette boy. "What?" She laughed.

"And you made me pee myself in front of the whole school." Troy recanted. "Some people still remember that." 

She grinned a genuine smile. Maybe there was something out there. "Sorry?" She raised an eyebrow, acting as if she hadn't a clue what he was saying. 

"Don't play stupid. I know you're Eleven." Troy said, grabbing her arm and unhooking her bracelet, revealing the tattoo. "I knew it!" He practically shouted. "How do those dumbos not see it?" He motioned toward Lucas and Dustin-who stood across the yard. 

Jane shrugged. "Who knows. They probably don't even remember me. It's been five years." She replied. "How'd you know?" 

"Because the minute Mike touched you he changed. It was like he knew it was you, but didn't at the same time." He sighed. "Amazing what one small brunette can do to Mike Wheeler." Troy shook his head. 

"Is it true?" Jane bit down on her bottom lip while waiting for the answer. "About him and every girl in school?" She clarified.

"You still like him." Troy concluded. "That's good news." He started to get up. 

"Wait!" Jane grabbed at him arm. "You didn't answer me." She stated.

"You wanna know the answer?" Troy questioned, as she nodded furiously. "Meet me at Benny's at four-fifteen to get the answer." With that he left.

"Well that's a start." Jane said quietly to herself. 

"What's a start?" Max echoed, sitting across from the brunette. "Hey, where's your bracelet?" She asked before Jane could even answer the first question. 

Glancing down, Jane expected to find the silver bracelet in her lap, but it was nowhere insight. "That mouthbreather." She muttered under her breath, then added quickly. "It most have fallen off in my locker." Jane sighed. 

Dustin, Lucas, and Will soon sat down as well, but Jane's attention had drifted to the boy sitting under a tree. Smiling sadly over at him, Jane decided she would meet Troy at the diner. 

Just one small problem: How was she to get away from the rest of the gang?

Dedicated to my darling. Here's to distractions