Chapter 6

Jonathan vanished back upstairs yelling for Hopper to come see something.

Jane's eyes widened. "We gotta go." She stated. "Now, Mike!" She grabbed his hand, pulling him with her to the basement door.

Together they ran outside and into the woods opposite his house.

Mike laughed. "Never a dull moment with you, is there?" He began to lead her through the woods.

Jane shook her head. "Where are you taking me?" She asked.

"To kill you, of course." He joked. "Somewhere Jonathan can't find us."

They continued to walk until a huge tree with a little house built into it loomed in front of them. A small, skinny ladder attached from the house to the ground.

Jane watched in wonder as Mike approached the ladder and held his hand out for her. "We are so far in the woods no one will find us." Jane laughed and started to climb up.

"Maybe the guys could find us, but you know they kinda hate me." Mike shut the door to the tree house.

He walked over to Jane, hugging her tightly. "What do you think Jonathan is doing right now?"

The brunette laid her head against his head. "Probably getting Dad to call Will to come find me." She said. "Or who knows, maybe he's forgotten all about it and is now watching Holly play with Barbara." Jane hoped the latter was true.

It had been a little while and the two were lying in the corner talking about random things. Really they were just happy to be together.

But happiness always comes to an end. For outside voices could be heard. Voices Mike and Jane knew well.

"Why would they come all the way out here?" Max's doubting voice travelled upward.

"Because it's a safe place to come." Will sighed. "Listen my sister has spent the last five years wanting only to see Mike."

"And he's changed because she left. She took everything from him." Lucas finished.

"She's Eleven? The Eleven?" Max couldn't believe it. "My best friend is the girl who you guys gape about? Unbelievable."

"Do you think they went up there?" Dustin interrupted, shining a flashlight at the tree house.

Jane held her breath waiting for the answer. She glanced unsure at Mike, but he didn't seem worried.

"Nah, Mike wouldn't do that. He would know that'd be the first place to check." Will shot down the idea.

But they weren't clear yet because Max and Dustin weren't convinced. "I'm going to check anyway." Dustin proclaimed and began to ascend the ladder.

Seconds later the door swung open and in stepped Dustin. He spotted the two and winked at a nervous looking Jane.

Quicky, Dustin climbed down and frowned at the others. "Nothing there."

"Told ya, Mad Max, Mike isn't dumb." Lucas wrapped an arm around her. "This is pointless if they don't want to be found then why are we looking?"

"Dad wants us to find her." Will shrugged. "He knows Mike is dangerous."

****

Jane sat up slowly, rubbing at her eyes. For a moment she wasn't sure where she was, but the sight of messy curls beside her put it back into focus.

"Mike," She nudged him. "Mike, it's morning." She nudged him once more.

Mike shushed her rolling onto his other side.

"Seriously, Mike," She checked her watch. "It's almost eight am. School starts in ten minutes."

Mike cursed softly and reluctantly sat up. "That means no one will be at my house." He said. "Unless you wanna show up to school dressed like that."

Jane glanced down at herself. "No thanks. We should get going." She stood and stretched.

"You really should stretch like that in a short dress." Mike commented, rising as well.

"Why? See a little too much, Wheeler?" Jane teased. "I mean the buzz around school is you've seen more than someone's legs."

"Shut up, Eleven." Mike said, before kissing her.

****

"Jane!" A familiar voice called from behind the brunette.

She chose to ignore it, however, and blame the noisy cafeteria if confronted.

"Jane!" This time it was a female voice. One that belonged to her best friend.

"Max." Jane spun around to face the redhead. "How are you?"

"How am I?" Max echoed. "I'm not the one who ran off with Michael Wheeler last night, and scared everyone." She placed both hands on her hips.

"Jane, come on!" Troy waved her toward the door.

"Sorry, Max, I gotta go." With that the brunette turned to leave.

"I never thought you'd be this stupid, Jane." Max stated. "Don't come running to me when he breaks your heart."

"Hello, beautiful." Mike greeted her as she sat beside him.

"Hey." She smiled weakly.

"What's wrong?" Mike questioned concerned, squeezing her hand.

Jane shook her head. "Nothing. I was just thinking." She lied. Friends don't lie, but she couldn't voice the words lodged inside.

Let this work out. Let Max be wrong. She prayed.