Chapter 3

Jane mentally cursed her friends for being so slow.

It was already three-fifty. Which only left her roughly twenty-something minutes to get home and then get to Benny's. Stupid boys and their video games. 

"What's wrong, Jane?" Max questioned, coming the rest beside her. "You look anxious." 

"Just tired, I suppose." The brunette shrugged, leaning forward to look at the three nerds crowding the Pac-Man machine. "Listen, tell them I decided to go on home, okay?" She sighed.

The redhead nodded. "Sure. You want me to walk with you?" She offered. 

"No, it's alright." Jane said, she knew the other girl would not approve of her plans. 

"You sure?" Max pressed. 

"I'm sure, M." Jane pulled her into a quick hug. "See you tomorrow." With that being said she walked toward the entrance.

"See ya!" Max called questionably after her. 

Nothing was adding up in the redhead's mind. After four years, Jane was suddenly acting odd; and all Will could say was Mike Wheeler.

***

"You're late, psycho." Troy chuckled as she entered the diner.

Jane sat down across from him. "Sorry, I was held up." She sighed. "Now answer my question from earlier."

"Yes, well it just leaves less time for me to prepare you." He stated casually, ignoring her other comment.

"Prepare me for what exactly?" She questioned.

"You'll see." Troy sighed. "Just be patient." He smirked knowing his plan was a golden one. There were things he knew that she didn't. Weaknesses and triggers to drive his friend crazy.

The bell over the door chimed, meaning someone else had arrived. But not just any someone. A short dark haired woman strolled up to their booth, a toddler on her hip. "What did you need, Troy?" She inquired.

"I need you to get Jane, here, ready for a party tonight." Troy answered. "Think you can handle that, Nance?"

Nancy Wheeler smiled brightly at the thought of dressing someone up. "Oh you bet. Can you watch Barbara while I do?"

"I'm not the best uncle for nothing. Come 'ere, Barb." He took the child from her.

"I'm confused." Jane interrupted. "What's happening?"

"Well, you want Mike, right? Nancy is your best bet." He said. "Don't question my methods, psycho, just roll with it."

Nancy? Jane knew this name, but why did hold importance to her.

"Um as a protective older sister that sounded really sketchy. Why does she want my brother?" Nancy asked.

Sister! That's it she's Mike's older sister. The girl who married Jonathan last year.

"Because she's just who your brother needs right now. She's the one he longs for." He paused. "She's Eleven."

Nancy's mouth dropped practically to the floor, before she righted herself. "Prove it. Do something Eleven like." She challenged.

"Dad says I'm not suppose to use them, but something small couldn't hurt." Jane sighed, flicking her hand and sending a salt shaker into the window. "There. Happy?" 

Nancy pulled her into a sudden hug. "You've grown up so much." She whispered into the other girl's ear. After a moment she pulled away and smiled sadly. "Come on then, let's go find you an outfit." 

"The outfit." Troy reminded for the billionth time. Nancy nodded.

***

Jane waited by the curb for Troy to pick her up. She felt weird and teenagerish in the new clothes and makeup. Her father and stepbrother both would have killed her on sight if they could see how short her baby pink dress was. It was definitely nothing like the one Jane had worn years earlier. 

Her hair was down in loose curls, and her makeup light, How was she to convince Mike if she couldn't even convince herself. 

Jane had been so wrapped up in thought that she hadn't noticed a car pull up. "Damn, Hopper, you look good. If you weren't Mike's....." Troy trailed out. 

The brunette slid into the passenger side. "Try anything and your arm won't be the only thing I'll break." Jane said with a tight smile.