Chapter 8

"I'm worried about Jane." Max confessed, leaning her head against the wall. 

Jane was her best friend, and the redhead just didn't want to see her hurt. She didn't want her to have the same fate as Jen.

Maybe there was a way Max could show her the real Michael. 

"I know, but you can't save everyone." Lucas sat down beside her, taking her hand in his. "Some people have to learn for themselves."

"But-"

He cut her off. "Jane is a smart girl, okay, she can take care of herself." 

"I know," Max sighed, leaning her head against him. "I just love her so much."

"I know you do." Lucas agreed, and kissed her head. "She's got this though." He tried to assure the girl.

But it was hard to assure someone when you weren't sure it was true yourself.

****

Will prayed that not interrupting Mike taking his sister home wasn't a big mistake.

Sure he had told Jane that he didn't care as long as she was happy, but that didn't change the fact that he hated Mike with a passion. 

They had gotten home later than he had thought, and was now fearing the worst-having left Mike alone with Jane for four hours. 

But the scene that displayed as he entered the home was not what he had expected. Jane was sound asleep on the couch with no Michael in sight.

Will-at his mother's request-bent to gather the girl into his arms, and carry her to her bed. 

Lying her down carefully, Will brushed a few strands of dark hair from her face. "Dear God, please, don't let him kill her too." 

****

"Hey, what are you doing up?" Jane asked as she spotted her brother in the kitchen.

"Force of habit." Will joked, looking toward the window. It was still dark out so if he had to guess it was around one or two in the morning. "You?"

"I needed a drink." Jane crossed the room to the sink. "You look like something's on your mind." She said before taking a drink.

"Just thinking about school." He lied. Lying was something he was not used to doing to his sister, for she knew him like an open book.

Which Will should have thought meant she'd know when he lied, and Jane definitely knew he had lied. "Can I ask you a question?" Jane said, deciding not to pursue the other conversation. 

"You just did." Will laughed. "Nevertheless continue." 

The brunette came to rest beside her brother. "Why do you hate Mike so much?" She asked, making Will's heart drop.

For a minute everything was silent, so Jane spoke up again. "I mean, I remember how crazily he searched for you years ago." She sighed. "I tried to ask him, but he didn't want to talk about it."

Will knew the feeling. Telling the truth would crush his sister. "Jane, it's late-"

"No!" She shook her head. "We tell each other everything, always have." She stated.

Will took a deep breath. "Maybe some other time." With that he stood and walked out, leaving a confused brunette in his wake.

As much as he hated it, Will needed to talk with Mike.

****

"Mike! Mike, wait up!"

The taller boy spun around and came face to face with his ex-bestfriend. "Can I help you, Will?" He asked.

To be honest, Mike missed his friends like crazy.

He wished he could go back and change what happened. Mike just wanted to see her smile brightly once more.

"Jane asked me why we weren't friends last night." Will told.

"Yeah, she asked me that too." Mike agreed. "Should we tell her?"

"Not the truth, of course." Will looked at him as if he was a madman. "But a story would be fine."

"You want to lie?" Mike couldn't believe his ears. "If she found out we lied, she'd-"

"Yes." Will interrupted. "I know she would. I also know that Jane loved her, and would be crushed to hear what you did. So we are going to lie." There was no room argument in his voice.

Mike nodded solemly. "Yes, Sir." He turned to walk away.

Will caught him by the arm. "If you hurt her, I will not hesitate to kill you, Wheeler. I won't lose someone else to you." He threatened.

"I would never purposely hurt El." Mike stated. "I love her."

Those three words had never been uttered before today. He hadn't even thought about it, but obviously his subconscious had.

"Yeah, well, I didn't think you would ever hurt her either, but I was way wrong."

The minute Will was gone, Mike hit his fist against the lockers. The memory replaying. Tears fell when her laugh rang through his ears.

She was a happy, pretty girl with a future ahead of her.

"Let's play truth or dare!" Lucas exclaimed, clapping his hands together.

The party they were at had become dull and boring so no one disagreed.

They gathered around in a circle: Dustin, Lucas, Max, Mike, Jennifer, and Will.

"I'll go first!" Max said excitedly. "Will, truth or dare?"

"Um... Truth, I guess." Will shrugged.

"Is it true you still sleep in Star Wars pjs?" Max asked with a smirk.

Will's cheeks turned a slight color of pink. "Yes." He mumbled. Jennifer let got a giggle.

"Moving on, Dustin, truth or dare?" Will questioned.

"Dare." Dustin declared. "You know too much dirt on me."

Will smiled wickedly. "I dare you to run through the party." He paused. "Naked."

"No way!" Dustin shook his head. "Nope."

"You have to, Dustin, it's a dare." Mike argued.

"Fine." So Dustin did just that.

The game continued for several more minutes before it happened.

"You're horrible, Jen." Mike laughed at his best friend's command to Lucas.

The blonde shrugged, laughing hystarically. "Thanks, honey." She blew him a kiss.

"Okay, let's see." Mike thought a moment. "Truth or dare, Jen?"

"Dare." Jennifer said confidently.

"Alright. Max, do you have your cold medication on you?" He inquired.

Max nodded. "Right here." She brought a bottle of blue liquid out, and handed it to him.

Mike poured some into Jen's solo cup. "I dare you to drink this." He held it out to the blonde.

"Okay." She took the cup and began to drink quickly.

"Be careful, too much of Max's extra strength cold medicine could be harmful." Will warned.

Max nodded. "The label says no more than two teaspoons every six hours." She read.

"Don't be such a downer." Jen rolled her eyes, kissing Will's cheek. "I'm fine."

However, that night Jennifer Hayes  died in her sleep. The cause of death? An overdose to Max's extra strength cold medicine.

With her death came the fallout of the gang. Will blamed Mike for Jen's death. Little did he know Mike got up everyday and did the exact same.