Chapter 1

Jane practically jumped out of the car, making sure the door slammed, and stomped into the house. She was making it quite clear to her father that she had no interest in going to normal school, especially even half a year was already up. But her father-Jim Hopper-could care less. You see he had just gotten a new case at work, and could no longer homeschool the sixteen-year-old. 

"Jane, just listen to me for five seconds." Her father pleaded. "It won't be as bad as you think." 

"Says who?" Jane counters. "My brother is miserable at school, so why do you want me to go?" She stopped just short of her brother's room, due to someone laughing. 

"Don't bring me into this, little sis." Will came from the kitchen, a drink in hand. "Look at it this way you'll get to be with Max eight hours a day." Jane smiled at the mention of her best friend.

"He's right y'know, I swung it so one of your two favorite people will constant be with you." Jim confirmed. "Now go get dressed, Jane. You can't go looking like that."

"I don't know," Her eldest brother Jonathan laughed. "I think she looks cute." 

Jane rolled her eyes. "Not helping the case, Jon." With that she went to change.

A few moments later, Jane reentered the room. "Will, have you seen-" Will cut her off, sticking a bracelet in her face. "Need this?" 

She snatched the silver bracelet from him, and slid it over her left wrist, covering the ugly tattoo. "You, as usual, are a lifesaver." She said with a smile.

"You nervous?" He asked, as they walked to his car. 

"A little bit, yeah." She answered, pulling on her brunette curls. 

"Everything's going to be fine." Will assured then added under his breath. "Or I hope so."

For you see, what Jane wasn't aware of was that Will was more scared than she was. He only wanted to keep her safe, but he knew letting her in the same building, let alone the same room, as one person could be a very bad and scary thing for them both. 

****

Jane walked timidly behind Will as they navigated their way through the crowded hallway. Everything was a little bit much for the brunette, but one thing made it automatically better....

"Jane!" A girl shouted and three seconds later a ginger head popped came into view. "I didn't know you were starting today." She wrapped her in a tight embrace. 

Jane immediately wrapped her arms around the other girl, happy to see her. "Hey, Max, how's it going." 

"How's it going?" Max repeated. "My best friend is here with me in this hellhole how do you think I am." She laughed. 

Before she could reply, a new but faintly familiar voice cut in. "Who's the new girl?" A boy questioned, coming to stand beside Will. 

"I'm Jane." She introduced herself, sticking out a hand. "You're Dustin, right?"

The guy nodded, making his curls bounce. "That would be me, madame." Dustin shook her hand. "Nice bracelet."

Jane raised an eyebrow. "Thanks?" It came out more as a question than a statement. 

"Don't mind Dusty he's into fashion." Lucas teased, approaching the group. "Nice to see you again, Jane." 

"As to you, Lucas." Jane nodded, pulling Max closer to her. "My Max." 

Max laughed, slinging a arm around the shorter girl. "You heard her, babe, I'm her Max now." She shrugged. 

Lucas grinned. "At least I've been replaced by someone I know loves you just as much." 

Dustin opened his mouth to make a comment just as two guys stopped directly in front of the little group. "Look the weirdos have a new chick." The shorter of the two stated. 

"Whatcha doin' with them, pretty girl?" The taller more curly haired boy inquired. "I mean you don't wanna end up like ginger do ya?" 

Jane didn't answer, only stared at the guys. Something about the one who'd just spoken seemed familiar to her.

The way he talked, the way he held himself, his wildly curly hair, just everything about him screamed familiar to her. But at the same time something was off about the picture, like a VHS that's tracking needs fixing.

"Are you deaf? I asked you a question." He said, snapping his fingers in her face. 

Jane jumped slightly. 

"Leave her alone, Wheeler." Max sighed.

"Or what?" He got closer to Jane, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear, he leaned close. "We aren't finished here." He whispered into her ear. Jane shuttered as he moved away, the touch causing chills to run down her spine. 

He returned to his friend's side right as the bell rang. "What a shame that's the bell." He shrugged. "Bye, freaks." He cast Jane one last look before following his friend around the corner. 

"You okay, Jan? Don't let that mouthbreaker get to you." Lucas said, patting her shoulder. 

The brunette nodded. "I'm fine, but who was that?"

"That," Dustin began. "Is possibly the worst person you could ever meet."

"Yeah, he makes Billy look like a good guy." Max agreed. "He's been out with like every girl in this school, if you get the idea."

"Goodness, but who is he?" Jane asked again, looking directly at her brother. 

Will bit his lip, looking away from her as he spoke. "His name's Mike Wheeler. He used to be our friend, but then he started hanging out with Troy." Will answered quietly, not actually wanting to say his name to her.

Mike Wheeler? She knew this name. But why was it so important to her?

"He's changed a lot since we were kids, it's a shame, really, he used to be the levelheaded leader, and now... well you saw." Lucas commented.

"Why? What made him change?" She questioned farther. 

"He fell in love with a girl who died in the end." Dustin was the one to answer this time. "She did something to him that week because without her he fell apart. Not believing she was dead drove him to the point of no return." He looked down the now empty hall. "Welp, see you guys at lunch." He left with that being said. Lucas and Will soon followed, leaving the girls there. 

"Don't frown, El." Max poked her cheek. "He doesn't deserve your sympathy." 

El. Just the name was enough to set her off. Jane took off down, not really knowing or caring where she was headed, finally she found a bathroom, and locked herself in a stall.

She broke down and began to cry. This was her fault, not just hers but Will's too. That guy....That horrid guy was her Mike. The one she loved still to that day.

She could it now, she could how he was Mike, he just wasn't acting like he should. Jane nodded to herself, she could fix this. She could find the old Mike and bring him back just like she had Will. 

The question was: did she want to after what they had just told her about him.

Hiya people, thank you for clicking on this book and I hoped you liked the first chapter!
I know the first chapter wasn't the greatest, but it'll get better. Promise
Also are you excited about the Emmy awards tonight? Cause I can't wait. 
Okay until later - Izzy