Chapter 12

Nine and a Half Years Later....

"Come on." Jane groaned. "You have to get up." She ran a hand through her hair before deciding to make sure they were up. Getting up on time weren't either one's strong suit. "You're going to miss breakfast."

The brunette sighed and placed a hand on the doorknob. "Don't make me come in there." Jane counted to three and opened the door. "Get up lazy bones!" She laughed, jumping onto the bed. "It's past ten am."

"Never!" Evie cried out. "how about bed all day?" The nine-year-old bargained with her mother.

"Yeah." Her brother Benny agreed, throwing his hands in the air.

"How about no." Jane shook her head. "You have an appointment with Doctor Owens today."

"I like going to her." The small brunette boy stated. "She always has toys in her office."

"Does that mean you'll get up?" Jane looked between her children, raising an eyebrow. "Both of you?" They shook their heads.

"Okay then...." Jane trailed off playfully. "I need some help in here!" She yelled.

"Oh no." Benny breathed as Evie smiled.

Seconds later a tall figure appeared in the doorway. "They not getting up again?" Mike questioned.

Jane shook her head with a smile.

"Well you know the cure to that, don't ya?" He crossed the room, and crawled onto the bed. "You tickle them up." Mike began to tickle his daughter. 

"Okay, okay, I give in." Evie hopped off the bed. "I'll be in the kitchen. Come Benny." She motioned for her brother to follow-which, of course, he did.

"Those kids." Mike commented "That's all your doing."

Jane looked wide eyed at her husband. "Excuse me? He's a carbon copy of you." She reminded.

"That may be, but you can't blame me for her sass." Mike pulled her into a hug. 

"That we blame on Auntie Max." She said. "Let's go join our kids before they destroy something again." Jane led him into the kitchen.

"Okay, so Daddy is going to take you to work with him, while I take Benny to the doctor." Jane explained when that had finished breakfast. "Does that sound good?" 

Evie nodded. "Sounds okay." She agreed with a slight frown. 

"Ben?" Mike turned to his son. 

"It's fine by me. I like Mommy all to myself." Benny said, not looking up from his drawing.

"Yeah me too." Mike whispered, raising his coffee mug to take a sip.

Jane hit his chest. "I heard that, Mister." She laughed, stealing his cup and taking a sip. "You ready?"

"I guess." Benny hopped off the stool and went to get his coat. 

"Good luck." Mike and Evie shouted together. 

****

Jane chewed nervously on her bottom lip as Doctor Owens spoke to Benny. She prayed that this doctor Owens was like her father had been. 

Being inside the lab that held her captive for so long only made things worse. 

She listened as her seven-year-old recited his dreams to the kind blonde lady. He told her about the monster that came at night to speak with him, but then he said something even Jane wasn't aware of.

"Last week I got so mad at my sister that the music box next to her broke like I had dropped it." Benny said with enthusiasm. "It was like I had the force!" 

Doctor Owens nodded. "Has this ever happened before, Benny?" She questioned. 

Benny nodded, still focused on the coloring page in front of him. "A couple of times, but Evie told me not to tell anyone cause they might take me away from Mommy and Daddy." He answered, finally looking up at the end. 

Jane wanted nothing more then to rush forward and hug her son. After all it was her fault he was like this. 

"Mrs. Wheeler?" Owens snapped her out of thought. "May I speak to you in the hall?" 

"Yes, of course," Jane rose to follow her out. "We'll be right back, Ben." 

Doctor Owens looked long and hard at Jane before speaking. "It's unbelievable that he shows signs of physical power." She said in amazement. "Normally that gene doesn't get pasted down, but in this case it did." 

"So what's that mean?" Jane inquired. "He's telekinetic like me?"

"Not exactly, it sounds like he might be more destructive than you. But without doing an experiment or test we can't be certain." Owens explained. "It could even be fatal."

"Yeah, okay," Jane nodded a little shocked by the whole thing. I mean, she knew there was a possibility since he had been experiencing odd dreams, but it was still a bit much. "Let me discuss this with my husband and I'll give you a call." Jane finally said.

"Take your time." The doctor stepped back inside. "Alright, buddy, I'll see you next time." She ruffled his hair. "And maybe next time you can finish your drawing." 

Benny smiled up at her before running to his mother. "Are you mad I didn't tell you, Mommy?" He asked. "I just didn't want someone to take me away."

The brunette picked him up. "No one's going to take you away, ever, you got it." She said. 

"Really?" Benny smiled. 

"I promise." Jane assured with a smile. He wouldn't be raised by someone heartless like she had. 

Once they figured out how to approach this situation, Jane decided she would show her son that she too was different.