Chapter 14

"Evelyn." A feminine voice whispered. "Evelyn." 

Evie slowly opened her eyes to find someone kneeling at the side of her bed. The girl had shoulder length dark brown hair and eyes to match. Something about her reminded Evie of her mother, but this person was not Jane. 

"Good you're awake." The girl sighed. "I need you to listen to me, okay, E?" She grabbed the child's hand.

Evie scrunched her nose up as to show she was thinking it over. Finally the little brunette nodded for the stranger to continue.

"No matter what he tells you, don't answer any questions." The strange teenager warned her. "Tell no one what will happen when you awaken, especially not Benny." She stressed the last three words. 

"Why?" Evie inquired quickly. Benny was a harmless seven-year-old?

The girl bit her lip. "It's hard to explain right now, but soon you'll understand." The stranger rose and turned to leave the white room. Having reached the door, she turned back Evie. "And do wake up now, Evelyn, Mother is worrying herself sick." 

****

Jane ran a hand through her messy hair. Max laid a comforting hand on her friend's shoulder as they waited together for the nurse to tell them about Evie.

"Where is that nurse." Jane sighed heavily. "We've been sitting here hours." 

But before the redhead could respond, the sound of heels clicking down the tile floor. From around the corner a tall slender woman in a white lab coat appeared. Her raven colored hair pulled tightly into a high ponytail, a red scrunchy holding it in place. Her red lipstick visible from even this distance. Evie's life was in the hands of the witch herself Gwen Stevens.

Jane let out a groan as the nurse stopped directly in front of them. She hadn't changed a bit since high school. It wasn't at all surprising that her least favorite person now worked in the lab from Jane's childhood horror stories.

"It was as though Evelyn was drained of any and all energy in her small body, Miss Hopper." Gwen informed, making sure to emphasize the last name. "Good news is she should be fine within a couple days of bed rest. As soon as she wakes you may take her back to whatever dump you call home." 

Jane snapped, now was not the time to mess with her. "First of all, it's Mrs. Wheeler. Second, in case you don't know already, this is my building so I suggest you tread lightly." Jane stood from her chair. "This isn't high school anymore, Gwen, I won that battle. Now if you would kindly tell me the room number of mine and Mike's daughter." 

Gwen looked stunned for a moment, then handed over a chart. "The number is in there." She turned to walk back to the nurses station. "Oh and do tell Michael I say hello."

Jane rolled her eyes, and flipped through the chart for the number. Room thirteen. 

"Can I punch her lights out yet?" Max asked once they were quite a ways away from the station. 

"That won't work, remember?" Jane laughed lightly at the memory of putting the Gwen in the hospital. "She'll always be the slut that didn't get what she wanted." The brunette opened the door marked Thirteen. 

On the bed laid a slightly confused Evie. She was just waking up when the door popped open. The small girl have expected it to be the girl from her dream, but it was only her mother and aunt. 

"Hey, E." Jane spoke softly. "How ya feeling?"

Evie smiled sleepily at the older Wheeler girl. "Tired." She answered. "Can we go home now, Mommy?" 

"Soon." Jane sat down on the edge of the bed. "Soon, my dear." She stroked hair back from her daughter's face. "Just as soon as Daddy and Benny come to get us."

At the mention of Benny, Evie's blood ran cold. The name seemed unsettling now, like a bad word which should never be uttered. 

A knock interrupted her thoughts of Benny. 

"Come in." Her mother loudly. 

The door opened, and a man stepped inside making Jane gasp. The only thing Evie could be sure of was this man wasn't her father. He was too old to be Daddy. 

"Papa?"