Relieved Surprise

[2 Days Later]

KC POV

"Dad we cool... Ma's good too." She lied nonchalantly. We hadn't even gone to see her mother yet. Even after she had offered us to stay at the house with her for free. Jessi refused and it irritated the hell out of me that she'd  be like that to someone that gave her life.

Me and my mom had our ups and downs but we got over it because we knew we'd need one or the other one day. Now Jessi's mom needed her and she was holding back a lot of hurt her mom put into her.

I sat and watched her for a couple of minutes as she conversed with her dad. Then was reminded of how short lived her conversation with her mom had been yesterday.

"Why you lie to your dad about seeing your mom?" I asked after she hung up. She shook her head in disagreement as I caught sight of Zay picking something up.

"Zay, getcho butt up here!" I yelled at him as I saw him get near the water. He ran this way and sat down in the shade. Sand all in his hair as he played with a starfish.

"I didn't lie. She said she was fine yesterday day." She answered me. Drinking her water. I glared at her and rolled my eyes.

"Today could be different Jes. She could be in pain or somethin'. You don't know. Your just going off of what she said yesterday." I scorned. She looked at me and made a face.

"Why you care about my moms anyway?" She asked curiously.

"Because you don't." I said mushing her head before getting up off of our beach towel and taking Zay's hand in mine. I put on my flip-flops and waited for Zay to do the same before I walked off and went into a little restaurant across the way that smelled of hot dogs and fast food.

I had promised Zay we'd take him to the beach before we went back to the hotel and had forgotten I hadn't ate all day. Now I was sitting here waiting for a waiter in a little skirt and top with Zay playing with the starfish from earlier.

"Baby, ew. Get that off the table." I told him. He frowned and stood up.

"Can I play it on the floor?" He asked me. I shook my head.

"No, your about to eat. Put it down. Now." I scorned. He threw it and I watched as it flew into some bodies drink. Which caused the older white lady to scream. I covered my face and waved my finger for him to come here. He shook his head and backed back.

"I said, come. Here. I'm not finna run after you. And you know if I do you gonna make it worse for yourself. So come here Zay. Now." I growled between my teeth. He continued to back up and I stood up and headed his way. Watching as he turned and tried to run. Getting stopped by a slim built boyish made body.

"Hey little man." She said to him looking down and smiling. Zay waved lightly and looked over at me which made her do the same. Smiling without a cause as she got closer to me. Scooting Zay with her as she went.

"I think this belongs to you." She chuckled. I nodded and pulled him into my reach as she tucked her hands in her swim trunks pocket. I looked her over and couldn't help, but stare at her toned legs abs and anything that moved on her body. She was probably 6' even and had a tanned look to her light skin tone. Along with her dark long dreads that kinda set her apart from everyone else in the restaurant.

"I'm uh- Amber." She introduced herself holding out her hand. I shook it.

"Kenzaya. This is my son Zay." I said to her. She nodded and looked down at him with a smile.

"I kinda heard that part after he threw a sea creature into Mrs. Hilt's drink." She reminded me laughing. I covered my face and sighed chucking.

"I'm so sorry. He-"