Getting To Know Each Other

*YOUR POV*

It was the morning of the job and I was ready. I had my bags packed, my magic at the ready, and knives strapped to my hips as back up if my magic should fail. I stepped out the door and made my way to Fairy Tail, excited to finally be taking a job. I stepped through the doors and made a beeline for the bar where my friend Cana was sitting and drinking. I sat on the stool next to her. "Hey Cana." She nodded at me in acknowledgement.

"Hey Y/N. Ready for your first job?" I couldn't keep the smile off my face.

"Hell yes I am! It's my first job in my new guild! How could I not be excited?" Cana grinned.

"I'm glad you're excited. Just be careful, ok? It doesn't take much for a job that seems easy to go wrong very quickly." I nodded.

"Got it. Thank you."

"Of course. I'm not sure where your partner is, though. Erza usually gets here pretty early..." Cana looked around the guild hall as I tried to calm my racing heart. How could I have forgotten? Master Makarov assigned Erza to be my partner on this job. The girl I'd liked since I first laid eyes on her. Well, maybe I'd get to know her with this job and realize that her personality would only match mine as a friend. Suddenly, the doors opened. I turned and felt my heart skip a beat when I saw Erza Scarlet standing in the doorway. Her gorgeous brown eyes were staring straight at me. I grabbed my bags, slid off the stool, and walked to her.

"H... Hey Erza," I stuttered out.

"Hello Y/N. I see you're ready. I am as well. Shall we go?" I nodded and we began walking to the train station.

When we boarded the train, we sat in silence, neither of us knowing what to say. After about five minutes, I couldn't take it anymore. I spoke up.

"Erza?" Her head shot up and she focused on me.

"Hmm?" I took a deep breath.

"What kind of magic do you use?" I decided to start with a safe question.

"Requip magic. I have over 100 different armor sets." I was shocked.

"Wow... That's impressive. I just use Ice magic. But not Ice Make magic like Gray uses. Just normal Ice magic."

"Your magic is impressive. It can be used for defense, offense, or healing. Gray can only use his for defense and offense." I just got a compliment from Erza. I didn't know what to say. I stammered out what may have been a "thank you" before wondering what else to ask. I decided on anther safe question.

"How did you discover your magic?" Erza's eyes darkened and she turned towards the window. I was about to apologize and take it back, but she began speaking.

"When I was a little girl, I was enslaved. I was taken to a place called 'The Tower Of Heaven,' or 'The R-System.' I was there with thousands of others. Men, women, children, everyone. I met people there, other kids, and I befriended them. One day, we tried to escape. But we were caught. Well, I was. They took me to a room and tortured me to help revive someone evil named Zeref. A friend I'd made, Jellal, found me and saved me. In doing so, he took my place. He was the one being tortured. I knew I had to save him. So I broke out of the cell we were in. I was going to fight. But security caught me and they were going to kill me. Then, an old man that I'd met threw himself in front of me. He cast a spell that would kill him and save me. When he cast it, he flung off his cloak and I saw the Fairy Tail emblem stamped into his back. When he died, I was filled with rage, and I screamed. All the weapons flew off the wall and attacked security as I ran to Jellal. When I was free and came to Fiore, I searched for that guild. I didn't know its name, just the emblem. When I found it, I joined. And I've been here ever since." I softly touched Erza's arm.

"Erza... I'm so sorry you had to go through that. But luckily, you never have to go through it again." She smiled.

"Thank you."

I will protect you, Erza. Even if it costs me my life.