Chapter 25

I step into the kitchen and grab a bag of blood out of the fridge. I pour it into a glass and sip at the cool liquid while pondering where Alex could have gotten to.

After my episode, I went into the bathroom to freshen up and he let me be. Now he is nowhere to be seen.

I hear voices from outside as I gulp down the last of my liquid meal and head to the door.

Alex and Giselle are conversing in front of the car. Giselle notices me straight away and beams a happy smile.

"Hey. I was wondering where you were."

I smile back at her words and glance around the street but can't see anything in the darkness.

"There's another car with a full tank in the garage. Make sure you take that one and leave this one here as a decoy. Just in case."

Alex nods as she speaks but his eyes are fixated on me the entire time.

Giselle follows his gaze and then finds her feet. She seems a little uncomfortable and i chalk it up to Alex and his intensity.

A thought crosses my mind and i find myself wondering if Giselle and Alex ever had a fling but i am quick to dismiss it. Even if they did, there is obviously no hard feelings and it would have been a lifetime ago. Alex couldn't be more devoted to me if he tried. And i him.

"I should get going. I have a lot of road to cover." Giselle mumbles still staring at her feet. Maybe thats why she wont look at me.

"You're leaving?" I ask as i shoot her a glare. I don't want her to leave.

"I don't think it's very safe if we are all together. Besides, I am at the top of Cail's shit list right now and he will kill me if given the chance. A girls gotta protect her ass." Giselle straightens her jacket as she speaks and I know that she's right. She would be safer without us slowing her down.

Gently, she crosses the distance between us and pulls me into a warm embrace. I find myself smiling at her touch as she wraps her arms around me.

"Alex has my new number. If you need anything, call me. I've always got time for my friends."

I nod eagerly as she pulls away from me flashing a sincere smile just for me.

She walks several meters and slides into a second car parked near Alex as I watch her tearfully. She has been the only vampire to actually care about me besides Alex and I am proud to call her friend.

If i ever had a sister, i would imagine her to be kind and thoughtful just like Giselle.

The engine roars to life and within moments she is nothing more than taillights in the distance.

I hold back the tears that want to show at the thought of never seeing Giselle again. Now we are all on the run, that scenario is highly likely.

.....

We drive north, stopping for most of each day so that we can rest and I can stay out of the suns harsh rays. My skin is already turning pasty and now I understand why vampires are so pale. The lack of vitamin D is definitely a major factor.

We have been driving for almost a week, stopping wherever we like so that Alex can show me parts of the world that I never would have dreamed possible to see.

Even though it feels almost like a vacation, we are careful not to be seen by anyone we don't know. Lucky for us, Alex has a list of loyal vampires as long as him arm. They all believe that Cail has lost control and that a change needs to happen. Most of them think that Alex should be the one to enforce that change.