n i n e t y - f i v e

It was getting later into the night, and Dalila had been expressing to me how much she admired Christian as an actor and as a person. However, despite this, she refused my attempts to get them to dance together in hopes of them forming a stronger bond.

"All I'm saying is that you'll love dancing with him." I shrugged, shooting her a lopsided smirk as I clumsily took a swig of my lemonade.

"I know, but I'm not going to go up to him and ask for a dance - I'll die of embarrassment." She groaned. "And you're not going to ask him either, otherwise it'll look too planned."

I sent her an unimpressed glare at her stubbornness, but then replaced it with a devilish smile as an idea suddenly ignited within my head.

"I'll be right back." I stated before swiftly fleeing the table to meet Lucas at the drinks table. He was alone from the group of boys, which worked perfectly for my plan. "Hey, I need you to do me a favour."

"No, I'm not standing in front of your car so that you can test the brakes." He stated simplistically, pouring himself a glass of raspberry punch and turning back to face me. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

"I need you to tell Christian to dance with Dalila." I explained, grabbing myself a drink so that I didn't seem too suspicious. "It's a long story and it'd be a lot easier if you didn't ask questions."

"That's it? Man, I was expecting to have to rub your feet or something."

"Or get ran over, by the sounds of it." I laughed light-heartedly, referring to his previous comment. "So, will you do it?"

"Get ran over?" Lucas twisted his face into an expression of horror.

"No! Ask Christian." I rolled my eyes before playfully slapping his arm.

"Okay, I'll do it."

"Thanks." I smiled, giving him a gentle kiss on the cheek. My face immediately flushed a bright shade of red as I came to terms with what I had just done, but nevertheless I turned on my heels and quickly made my way back to Dalila.

"Did you just kiss-"

"Do you want this?" I hastily shoved the full glass of punch in her face, hoping she'd forget what it was she wanted to ask. "I mean, I don't really like it."

"Okay, sure." She gratefully took ahold of the glass and drank nearly the entirety of its contents. "Thanks."

"Hey, Delila." Christian greeted as his tall frame towered above us.

Wow, that was quick, I thought to myself. He mustn't of took much persuading.

"Hey, Christian..." Delila coughed, holding her throat as I assumed it must've burned. "How can I help you?"

"Well, I was wondering if you wanted to dance."

Delila's eyes immediately snapped to meet my own, almost as if she was saying 'I told you not to ask him'! In return, I sent her a reassuring look to say 'I didn't.'

"Yeah, I guess so." Dalila finally replied, causing Christian to heave out a breath he must've been holding all along.

The young couple then walked towards the crowded dance floor, just as the song switched to play 'Hotel California'. I laughed with satisfaction, and turned to see Lucas making his way towards me.

"It worked." He smiled before resting an elbow on my shoulder, clearly taking advantage of the height difference.

"It sure did." I nodded, watching as Christian and Dalila slowly rocked from side to side. "The song change couldn't have been more perfectly timed."

"That was me." He stated, seeming fairly pleased with himself. I shot him a surprised glance in response. "What? It's a good song."

"I've never heard it before, but it sounds meaningful."

The boy instantly sent me an unimpressed look, and reach out a hand for me to take.

"Come on, let's dance."

***

A/N I really like the chorus to this song, hence why I put it in the story. I can just imagine the characters dancing and lip syncing along to it :P