14 | fourteen

| chapter fourteen - the pain of losing you |

A month later I was walking through the halls with Melanie and Kat, we were laughing as we headed to the library to study.

Exams were a month away and the stress was starting to set in. Severus constantly fussed over me and made sure I never got too stressed for the baby's sake.

As we started to walk down a flight of stairs I felt myself become dizzy, my foot slipped and I tumbled down the many stairs on the staircase. The last thing I remember before everything went black was Melanie yelling for Kat to go and get Severus and then smashing my head into the railing.

~

Everything was dark.

The bed where I lay was nowhere near as comfortable as the one I share with Severus.

I can feel warm fingers gently caressing my cheeks, the contact is nice.

"Come back to me Em, I need you," a soft yet broken voice of a man begs.

Rapid footsteps approached my bed.

"Severus!" A girl cries.

The footsteps slow and I feel someone take hold of my hand, their hands are warm and soft.

"How did this happen?" Questions the man.

I hear someone sigh, "We were all laughing as we headed to the library and then as we began to walk down the stairs she slipped and tumbled down them before hitting her head against the bannister," another girl replies.

I try to reach for the people but find my body too weary to even move. I try to open my eyes but they remain firmly shut as well. So I give up, I let the people around me remain unaware that I'm awake.

"Is she going to be okay Severus?" One of the girls asks, her tone is almost cautious, afraid of how the man will respond.

"HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW?!" The man yells, he isn't mad but I can hear the despair in his voice.

"Shh Severus, I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question," the girl responds.

My hand is let go of, "We're going to leave now, let us know if there's any change," the other girl says softly.

I hear as their footsteps fade away. Soon soft sobs fill the room, warm hands encase mine and I listen as the man sobs.

"Oh Emilia, come back to me, I can't do this without you. All I want is for you and our darling child to be safe. I love you."

The man pleads with me to open my eyes, but I just can't.

More footsteps approach my bed, I hear glass being set down beside me somewhere, possibly on a table.

It's a woman, I can tell from the delicate fingers checking my pulse and then my temperature.

I hear as she uncorks something and glass is pressed to me lip, the vial is tipped back and the woman massages my throat so that I do not choke.

"Why won't she wake up Poppy?" The man asks.

"When Emilia fell, she repeatedly hit her head before smashing it into the bannister. Her tests show that while she suffers no brain problems or damage, she does need time to recover. The body's natural way of healing is sleep, and so Emilia's body has sensed that she is injured and so it has gone to sleep," the woman replies.

The man sighs, "And what about the baby, is my child going to be okay?"

The woman is silent for a moment, almost too long of a moment before she finally answers, "I don't know yet, I don't know what impact it took during the fall. I am currently running tests and we should know soon if your baby is going to be okay."