Chapter 13

I didn't know if the shadow was taking me home, but I hoped that it was. I would see my Mom and everything would be ok again. I would forget about Peter entirely... At least I would try to forget.

The shadow was gripping my arm tight, I squirmed from the uncomfortable position and it tightened its grip. I let out a small cry as the gash on my arm started to bleed more. I clenched my lips tight together to suppress another cry that was trying to escape. I shut my eyes tight and I suddenly felt like I wasn't flying but falling. I opened my eyes and saw the shadow was descending towards small twinkling lights. They grew bigger and brighter until houses and roads formed. I saw my home approaching in the distance and I felt my stomach tighten in apprehension. The shadow got to the end of my street and tossed me to the sidewalk. I tumbled onto concrete and I felt my skin tear and scrape from the impact. I looked up to glare at the shadow and I swear I heard it laugh as it began to fly away into the darkness.

"I will be writing a detailed review of your awful services!" I screamed at it.

I sighed and turned myself in the direction of my house. All the lights in the houses on my street were off so I assumed it was late at night. I turned to look behind to make sure the shadow was gone. Darkness was all I saw so I broke into a run and dashed to my house. A smile was spread across my face as I nearly got there. I stopped in my driveway and found lit candles and flowers in a half circle. I knelt down to examine the scene closer. There were pictures of me and my mom and newspaper articles featuring us. I picked up an article and began to read.

"Vincent Kalahee murders wife, Anna Kalahee, and is suspected to have murdered daughter, Emerald Kalahee." I read quietly to myself as tears began to sting my eyes. My Mom was dead, he killed her. I grabbed a different article, this had to be wrong.

"Emerald Kalahee is still missing after 4 weeks of investigation. Vincent Kalahee pleas not guilty on charges of the suspected murder of his daughter and refuses to release information of her possible location." My mind wasn't absorbing what I was reading.

"Four weeks." I whispered to myself

"No." I said as I got to my feet and stormed to my house, there was police tape across the door. I tried to open the door but it was locked. I went and grabbed the spare key from the fake rock in the garden. I burst through the door and saw more police tape in the house. My vision was blurred from the tears that continuously poured from my eyes.

I ran to my Mom's room and threw myself onto her bed. I cried for what felt like hours as I hugged tight to her pillows, they smelled just like her. I slowly raised myself from the bed and walked to her jewelry box. I opened it and stared at my Mother's most valuable possession. It was a small heart pendant that rested on a silver chain. The pendent had a tiny fresh water pearl imbedded in it. My grandfather had given it to my grandma. My Mom had told me that one day it would be mine, another tear rolled down my cheek as I thought about how it became mine too soon. I walked to my tiny room and stood in front of the mirror, I looked awful. I was covered in a little layer of dirt and my clothes were ripped and covered in blood.

I went to the bathroom and showered and washed my hair. I let the hot water try to calm the sobs that were escaping from my mouth. I was still standing in the shower after the water had turned ice cold. I slowly got out and grabbed new clothes from my closet. I put on a black dress and black shoes. I walked to my mirror and curled my hair and did my makeup. I stared at my dull and lifeless eyes in the mirror. A picture of my friend Charlie and I had caught my eye. It was from our sophomore year of high school when we had gone to homecoming together. We were standing close to each other and we had our foreheads touching as we laughed.

I grabbed the picture and a small black satin purse to put the picture in. I walked somberly down the hallway and out the front door. I walked past the little shrine and continued down the dimly lighted sidewalk. I had somewhere I needed to be. I slowly made my way to the town cemetery.

Once I arrived I made my way towards my grandparents graves, assuming my mother would be buried next to them. Despite being in a cemetery at night, I felt numb. I saw a patch of new grass and a new headstone by my grandparents graves. I stumbled towards it and fell to the ground in front of my Mom's grave. I started sobbing uncontrollably and I screamed in sadness at the night surrounding me.

"Oh Mom." I cried as I traced her name on the tombstone with my fingers.

"I'm so sorry, Mommy. I should have been there, I should have, but instead I was with him. I love you Mom." I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. I took the silver chain and clasped it around my neck. I rested my head on my Mom's stone and let my tears fall onto it.

"Peter." I said in a small whisper.

"Take me back." There was nothing left for me here. I would end up in the foster care system. I would be alone. Just like the first time, the wind shifted and the air grew cold. I didn't move from my position on the ground. I saw the shadow approaching fast from the sky. The shadow approached me and hovered above me.

"He knew." I said more to myself than the shadow.

"He knew she was dead. He knew. He knew." I whimpered. The shadow took me in its arms gently, as if it understood my pain. It slowly began to fly away as I lay limp in its arms.

"He knew I would be back."

***AUTHOR'S NOTE***

I'm sorry if you found this chapter kinda boring, I needed it so I could develop Emerald's character more.

The next chapter will bring a new character... Maybe. If so, said character will start a little romance, but for whom???

I would like to thank RobbieRehab for giving Emerald and Peter the ship name, "Pemerald". I love it!

Who is super excited for OUAT tomorrow??? I sure am!!

I love all your sexy faces!

Vote/comment/find me a pretty boy to have a long term relationship with