Spoken

The group was attacked a few more times by demons, but they were in much smaller numbers and strengths. Athena was covered in various scratches over her and nearly passed out every chance she got. It had been almost eight hours since their battle in Cleveland and they were a little past Indianapolis, Illinois. Their money supply was starting to dwindle from the food, gas and toll costs. Rae, Kanan, and Athena took turns driving; but Kanan and Rae did their best to get Athena a little more rest since her extreme exhaustion was taking a toll on the teen.

At this time, it was dark out as it turned to the hour of nine o'clock. Rae, Ezra, and Athena all fell asleep in the back seats; leaving Onthant and Kanan the lone awakened. Kanan was the only one who was actually well awake as he had taken a nap while Rae had driven for a good seven hours. Onthant was even nodding in and out of consciousness.

"Turn left in akjbak..." The GPS began to spit out unrecognizable words and garbled hit the GPS a couple times, but it didn't help.

"Hey, Onthant, the GPS is on the frits," Kanan looked over to his dad.

"Hmm...well it looks like a circuit came loose or something. Just go straight and turn onto Route 64 when it comes up in about an hour and a half and just go straight from there. Should take us right to St. Louis. When you see a giant arch, we're there," Onthant let out a yawn. "Gah! I'm getting too old for this...I need to sleep."

"Alright. Go to sleep. I got it. Just turn onto Route 64 and head straight."

"Alright, Caleb," Onthant yawned and leaned on his side of the car and slowly drifted to sleep. Kanan looked over to see his father as he didn't make a sound other than the small noise of his breath, just like Athena.

Kanan couldn't really process the fact on how he was sitting next to his actual father. He grew up his entire life having absolutely no thought about meeting his parents. Let alone his father and sister that had been living on Earth. His little sister was enough to take in, let alone his father. He could see a lot of himself in his father. It was looking in an older mirror. Kanan then began to wonder if he should grow out a beard like his dad. He contemplated on that idea, deciding to consider it in the future.

Kanan looked in the rearview mirror at the three Jedi-in-trainees as they all were fast asleep; their features were shown with flashes of orange from the passing street lamps. Athena was once again in the middle and Rae and Ezra both used Athena as a pillow. He smiled a little and looked back at the road.

It was a good hour and a half before he was in Louisville, Kentucky on Route 65 and came upon exit 137 where it came to a split. There was one lane that had the sign that had the numbers 71 and 64 within Route symbols on it that was readable to Kanan since he couldn't read Earth writing. But there was the other one that just had just the number 64 in a Route symbol.

"Dad! Where do I go?" Kanan shook his father's shoulder.

Onthant did not wake and Kanan was nearing the split. He took a chance and went in the lane for Route 71 and Route 64; not knowing the words underneath said 'Lexington' and 'Cincinnati' while the other read 'St. Louis'.

***

It was about seven in the morning when Kanan was getting really drowsy from the long drive. He was beginning to swerve a little on the road as his eyes slowly drooped shut. He was shaken out of his drowsiness when a car horn blared past them.

He, as well as everyone else in the car, shook awake.

"What did you do?" Athena grumbled as she rubbed the sleep out of her eyes.

"I've been driving for nine or ten hours now, give me a break," Kanan warned his little sister.

"Pull over, I'll drive," Athena offered. "Seems like none of 'em demons came after us yet."