Chapter 42

Emitt's P.O.V

I walk into the house cautiously, in search of the two people who brightened my world.

I'd left Amelia with Beckett for the day, I thought it'd be good for the both of them and the way they lit up at the suggestion told me I was right. Meanwhile I went on a little hunt for Mickey since he'd been ignoring me since I returned. He was the only person in this whole pack who's first response to seeing me was a punch to the gut. He's been avoiding me ever since.
I mean I got why. I was his closest friend and I left without telling him anything, though I tried telling him that it wasn't my intention to be gone for so long. He didn't want to hear any of it.

I sighed in exhaustion as I stumbled my way to a library I didn't even know the house had, I was simply following Amelia's scent and ended up here. Walking inside the sound of joyous laughter sores through the air and straight to me. My eyes widen in surprise as I watch Beckett chase after Amelia through the many aisles of books, Amelia running as fast as she can, her laughing bouncing off each and every wall. The room was a mess where they played, papers scattered around the floor with books stacked high on the tables they were weaving through. Thing was watching them as he rolled on his back as they continued to play.

I lean against the doorframe watching them with a growing smile, I wasn't strong enough to stop them, I didn't want to. Goddess they were perfect together. So undeniably perfect. My mind began to paint a beautiful picture where I too was playing with them like that.

Where we were a family...

"Daddy!" Amelia screams in both relief and excitement as she runs towards me, snapping me out of my temporary trance. "Save me!"

I pick her up as she jumped in my arms and took off down a massive hallway, Beckett stunned by my sudden cooperation but followed quickly. A large smile plastered to his face as Amelia giggled in my hold while I ran around the house.

"Run! Daddy, run!" She screams as she bounces looking over my shoulder, no doubt the image of Beckett advancing on us making her more anxious. "He's coming!"

"Got ya!" Beckett shouts as his hands snack around my waist before I had got the opportunity to sprint up the stairs. He lifts me off the ground, circling us both making me laugh as I try to escape while Amelia squealed and screamed. "Do you surrender?" He shouts as he spins us around making her laugh all the more.

"I surrender!" Amelia screams through her giggles that became hiccups. "I surren-hu-der!"

Beckett stops the spinning, setting me down on my feet allowing us all the catch our breath. His warm breath fanning my ear as he took in deep breaths, Goddess knows how long he was playing with Amelia before I decided to join. His arms remained snugged around my waist, the grip there even though his hold was light, my back pressed directly against his, Amelia being the small space between us. I tried to calm myself as my body began to swirl with a usually dormant feeling of need, reacting to his presence like I'd never felt it before.
I used to feel sparks with him, toe curling, lip biting sparks that made me lose any sense of knowledge. Now as his head rested way too close to mine for comfort with his warm breath teasing my neck, I felt fireworks.

"Do you surrender as well?" He whispers to me, his arms giving me a light squeeze. I gasp in surprise at the gesture as well as his tone, it was gentle and friendly but also suggestive.....I think.

I'm officially going crazy.

"I-I do." I stutter out. A string of curses flow through my mind for being so nervous, I was acting like a cock-shy teenager and I was anything but that.

"Good." He slurs beautifully before pulling back and grabbing Amelia from me.

"You're a little minx you know that!" He grumbles as he tickles her, walking away with my beaming daughter while I stood planted in my spot watching them with a panicked mind.
A mind that told me to grab that man and kiss him and a heart that told me that I was overreacting.