012

"Explain."

That's the word dad said when we got home and everyone is complete. The enhanced humans and the nobles came. Daniel and Charles went after them.

I sighed as I recall that time.

"Jason was an army soldier of America during the second world war. Coincidentally, I'm a doctor of a secluded hospital where he was posted. I knew him for being a jolly one, and best friend of Charles here who'the s in air force."

Charles nodded and continued the story. "Jason is one of the best soldiers in the infantry. He's quick at decision making. He often saves everyone's asses in a tight situation they always face.

"Everyone liked him for that, being levelheaded amongst the soldiers. And Cassielle among the doctors inside the city.

"Cassielle is one of the beautiful women that was still alive during the war, no one expected that a girl like her was a professional, a doctor at least. And that's what Jason caught his attention.

"He always flirt around Cass with the nurses, but Cass just ignores it and continues her job.

"Well, no one knows why Cass chose to work in a war stricken place than in a safe one.

"All women incapable to fight or assist in hospital and such were already sent to a safer place that anyone thinks of. But she's one of the few who remained for the sake of service and duty, without any pay.

"Jason always tells her to me, being so cold and stone-like heart that no matter how hard he tried to do something so that she will notice him, nothing works. As if he's making an effort to a mannequin.

"But in a few months, Cass gave in and they are officially in a relationship. Jason was happy, he often stay in makeshift hospital than in his platoon. Some of the soldiers were teasing him for being possessive.

"But it changed in a few months. He became obsessed with something. He rarely speak with me. He always demands for Cass's attention even thought there's a pile of injured inside the clinic.

"And in a few weeks, I know why: he knows that Cass was an immortal, and he wants to be one to be with her without knowing the consequences.

"One of the requirements was sacrificing of loved ones or the person close to you and tons of souls to obtain the immortality. Including the spell, he did it.

"He killed me.

"Everyone in the clinic and his comrades.

"He looked like a maniac while doing it. I never saw any guilt or sadness crossed in his eyes when he slit my throat and left me to bled to death.

"Because I was the last sacrifice he needed to complete the ritual he stole from Cass.

"As he can't sacrifice an immortal, he used me.

"But as my last breath comes, Cass came. She's apologising at me and asked me if I want to live.

"I agreed, not minding the consequences and next thing I knew, I'm fine despite the blood in my clothes and on the hard ground.

"And that's what I realised: I became an immortal. But I'm still on between of life and death, and if I violated the contract, I'll face the worst punishment ever.

"And that's how I discovered that I was the first one she ever made a contract with.

"I'm thankful to her because she let me live even though I can't get married and see my children and grandchildren grow and get married. She showed me how rotten this world was, and how you guys tried to keep it in balance in anyway you can."

"What's in the contract?" Dad asked.

Daniel answered. "A part of her soul keeps us here, her being alive, thus making us stay anchored her through her. She can sense us wherever we go and what we feel.

"And the other part of that is she can use us as a weapon. We can morph into any weapon according to our soul and hers to accommodate her need.

"I'm a samurai blade, while Shiroki is an army knife and Charles being a gun.

"But in the contract, if we ever did a wrong deed, our punishment will walk in eternal darkness and our persona will be eaten and crumble away until we become nothing. We will wander on that darkness insane and not remembering who we were, making us a savage, immoral, and dangerous monster of the dark."

And the perks of having a servant: they'll speak for you, making things effortless.

After that talk, Frankenstein spoke. "You found a way to a safe immortality?"

"It wasn't complete when Jason tried it. And it was a wrong one. Indeed it made him immortal, but he lost his real identity, leaving the fake one, thinking that was him.

"Besides, the successful one doesn't required tons of souls to kill. You need pure magic. I didn't believed at magic first, but when I saw one, I know it's real. And that pure magic will be your payment for the immortality. You'll become an immortal without any powers, but you are still you. Still sane and still yourself. But if you fail to complete the requirements and made it harshly, you'll face death." I said.

"But where can you find pure magic?"

"We all have that. Some of us doesn't know it exist within us thus we can't reach for it. And others think it's a dark entity because it's forbidden and almost no one can interact with it."

"Can that help master?"

"It's already solved. Can't you see the progress? He's a bit healthier than before. But I don't want him trying to use that soul weapon again. Eternal sleep would be the next."

I know that that threat means nothing to dad. He would love to sacrifice his life just to protect humans.

And that is also our responsibility. Whether we like it or not.

A responsibility that can cause our lives if there's someone stupid to do their actions enough to be noticed by us and needs a proper action to save the majority and the future.

And I know that's one of the weres and noble's problem before I settle down here. And I noticed that this place attracts trouble than it seems.

———————
Edited 12-05-18