48: Surrender

Adalwolf Zimmerman

(May 1945)

Alaric led the way down the hallway and the stairs to the main entrance to the apartment so we could get to the street. I walked behind Adeline and ran my hand across the walls in the hall. I adjusted my bag and then my shirt.

"Adeline, Adalwolf, stay here for a minute," Alaric said as he put his bag down on the floor by the entrance.

"Alaric, we are going with you," Adeline said as he pulled out his gun. I was silent for a moment and Alaric shook his head.

"I am making sure that it's safe out there. Just stay low," Alaric said as he walked out and I grabbed Adeline's arm so she wouldn't follow him into the war zone.

"Adalwolf, let me go," she said and I shook my head.

"Alaric wants us to be safe while he checks that it is safe," I told her and she looked at me like I was insane.

"We just got our family back. I don't want to lose it already," she said and I gripped her arm tighter.

"We never lost our family, Adeline. We were always together. We were just far apart," I told her.

"Easy for you to say! You try listening to the rumours about how one of your brothers are going to hell for breaking German law and the other is too weak to go to war," she said and I sighed.

"You didn't hear everyday what people who had power over you were going to do to your siblings because of your sins," I told her and she stared at me. She was waiting for me to continue. I took a deep breath. "They are ruthless when it comes to us. They didn't care.

"I don't know how they found out but they found out Alaric and you were my siblings and it never ended when it came to you two. They threatened to cut Alaric's neck open so he would die slowly for not protecting his younger brother. They threatened you, Adeline. They said that they would make sure that I didn't infect you with my sins by showing you what a real man is." I had to stop as I felt tears trying to fall from my eyes. She was silent.

"I know we just got our family back but I swore to Mother and Father that I wouldn't let anything happen to you two. And as for those a**es, they would need to a, get through me and b, they were going anywhere near Adeline with Wilson around," Alaric said as he rejoined us and picked up his bag. Adeline and I looked at him as he looked between us.

"What about you, Alaric?" I asked. He looked at me and cocked his head to the side.

"What about me?" he asked as he glanced out to the street.

"Clearly you heard what we dealt with because of you, what about you?" I asked and he rolled his neck.

"The guys promised to take care of you two if something was to happen. You two and Alia. At least Engel and Booya," he said and he looked at the wall.

"What do you mean?" Adeline asked and Alaric grabbed her hand.

"I mean that they made a pact with me. If I was killed in action, they would make sure that you two were supported and act as if they were me," he said and Adeline shook her head as she hugged him.

"You planned to die," Adeline said and he stood still. We all knew that Alaric had planned to kill himself a few times before. I never thought that the war would be his way to die.

"No, I didn't plan on dying. I accepted that I may die in active duty," he said and I stared at him. He pushed Adeline off of him and she looked at me. "Let's get out of here so we are killed on sight." He headed out then looked back at the two of us. We went to him and he adjusted his bag. "Don't forget that I will always take care of you two first." Adeline and I nodded.

Alaric Zimmerman

I kept Adeline's and Adalwolf's heads down as I watched the soldiers run pass us. Russian soldiers. We were by the capital building and we heard the gunshots. Adeline and Adalwolf kept pushing closer to me with each shot. I watched as the German flag was pulled off the building and the Russian flag was put up where the German flag was. I sat on my heels and covered my mouth.

Germany lost the war.

"Alaric," Adeline whispered and I felt her hand wipe tears from my face. I didn't know why I was crying but I just felt like I failed everyone. "What's wrong?" I shook my head.

"Let's go," I choked out and grabbed my siblings' arms to get them moving. Adeline led the way, running now and we followed suit. I glanced back and stopped.

"Alaric," Adalwolf urged as Adeline and he stopped at the end of the alley. I made a mad dash to capital building. I grabbed one of the smaller German flags then ran back to my siblings. We took off with more speed and we didn't slow down until we were hidden behind a car. I shoved the flag into my bag and took a deep breath.

"You are insane," Adeline told me and I nodded.

"We have to get to base," I said.

"Did Germany surrender?" Adalwolf asked as we started walking. I shook my head.

"No, but they will soon. Russian captured the nation," I said and they both grabbed my hands.

"We need to move," Adeline said and we ran.