51: Christmas

(December 1945)

"Jesus, boys! Be careful with the tree!" Alia yelled as Jack, Adalwolf, Alaric, and Wilson tried to put up a Christmas tree in Alaric's house since that we were going to celebrate Christmas there. Tessa was sitting on the floor and Ernst was laying next to her.

"We got it!" Wilson said as Adalwolf bent over to secure the tree so it would stand. They all stepped back and Alia sighed as it stood. Alaric put his arm around Alia's shouders as he touched her small baby bump. I looked at my slightly larger one as Adalwolf fell onto the ground.

"I told you that we woud have a normal Christmas here in America, didn't I? What is Christmas without a little bit of tree problems?" Alaric asked no one in particular. Alia laughed as he walked across the room to the box of Christmas decorations.

"The Mullers want to have a small party to celebrate the coming of Christmas," I commented and they all laughed. "They even requested that Alaric comes in uniform." Alaric laughed and shook his head.

"I always need a good reason to wear my uniform," Alaric said and we all laughed as he stood up taller. Adalwolf and Alaric were getting back to who I knew growing up.

"I think that this Christmas is going to be good," I commented and Wilson shrugged.

"I've never had a tree in my house at Christmas before," Wilson said and we all stared at him.

"You've never had a Christmas tree before and you lived in Germany?" Jack asked and Wilson shrugged.

"My parents didn't really see the point in a tree in our house for a holiday," Wilson told us.

"Well, we don't see the point about setting off fireworks for when your nation gained independence."

"Or bombs in your national anthem."

"Or why Americans think hamburgers are American."

"Wow, the Zimmerman siblings are being as savage as usual," Alia said. My brothers laughed as they started putting the candles on the tree like Mother taught us. Alas...

"You guys need to put on the garland and tinsel first," I commented and they stopped to put on the popcorn garland that Alia and I made earlier while the boys were getting the tree.

"My family never celebrated the way that you guys do," Jack said and Alia hummed in response as she picked up Ernst from the floor.

"If nothing else, that is one thing our parents did know. They celebrated holidays like no one else," I said and Wilson rubbed my shoulders.

"Remember our first Christmas together?" Jack asked as he looked at Adalwolf which caused Adalwolf to laugh.

"Benny, Jack and I made a Christmas tree out of a knife and our pieces of bread. Then Benny put vegetables on it to make decorations," Adalwolf told us and we laughed. Alia looked at Alaric.

"We got married Christmas eve so our first Christmas together was very quiet and yet beautiful," Alia said. Alaric nodded as he smiled.

"My Christmas on the front was so funny. I got at least six boxes of cigs because that's all we could get. The government sent us a tiny tree and we put used bullets on it to make it our own," Alaric said and we all laughed.

"My parents use to make cookies on Christmas eve as I wrote a letter to Santa Claus. I would leave my letter and the cookies out so Santa could eat the cookies and read the letter," Wilson said and I smiled at him as I leaned against him.

"At home, my parents use to hang my brother's and my socks up by the fire place so they could put candy and little things in them," Jack said. I looked at Alia.

"What if we combine all the traditions together?" Alia asked. Everyone all started talking at the same time and I laughed.

"I think that is a yes," I said and we laughed.

*
Alaric Zimmerman

(December 1950)

"Merry Christmas!" Ernst yelled as he and his little sister jumped on the bed onto Alia and me.

"Erry Christwas!" our four year old girl, Jenifer, said in English. We taught the kids English and German so they could go to normal schools and socialise but Alia decided to homeschool them instead.

"Merry Christmas," I told them in German. Jenifer and Ernst laughed as I sat up. Alia hugged Ernst as he jumped up and down.

"Is Heather awake?" Alia asked, referring to our six month old girl. Ernst shook his head and Alia got out of bed to get Heather.

"We haven't looked at the stockings!" Jenifer yelled and I laughed. I put her on my hip as I got out of bed. Ernst jumped onto my back as I stood straight.

"You know we have to wait for your aunt and uncles," I told them and they laughed.

"Uncle Wack and Uncle Adalfolf are here alweady," Jenifer informed me.

"Did you open the door?" I asked and the laughter stopped.

"Swrry."

"Leave the kids alone. We weren't going to stand in the snow," Adalwolf said as I walked into the living room.

"It's dangerous for Germans," I reminded him, "What if it wasn't you at the door?"

"Relax, Alaric. It's Christmas and Adeline is opening stockings with her kids right now," Adalwolf said as I gave him a hug. Jenifer and Ernst looked at me as Alia walked in with Heather.

"Go ahead," I told them and they ran to go through their stockings. I took Heather from Alia as she went to the kitchen. I looked around the house and smiled.

At the end of the day, at least I had my family.