1: Germany

3 September 1939: I walked with my friends down the streets of Berlin as they talked sh*t about our classes at school. My girlfriend, Isabella, held my hand as we held soda pop in our hands.

"You should have seen it, Alaric! Flat out told those greedy Jews that they weren't going to make their parents proud," my best friend, Abelard, said. Isabella held my hand tighter as she laughed.

"You know what, Abe?" I asked. He looked at me.

"What?" he asked.

"You, my friend, are backpfeifengesicht," I told him and he laughed as I pushed him.

"You are the backpfeifengesicht," he stated. I shook my head.

"How about we don't start fighting here?" Isabella asked as she looked at me. I smiled and nodded until we heard tanks rolling down the street. We stopped and looked at our army. The Nazi flag was hanging proudly as they rolled by.

"I heard they are invading Poland today," Abe whispered to us as we walked to the edge of the curb. We watched as they turned on the street before us.

"Hitler knows that it belongs to us and he is simply getting our land back," Isabella stated and I looked away from the tanks, only to look at her.

"It's those damn Brits and French that cut over half of our country away," I stated. Isabella smiled up at me.

"And Adolf knows that. That's why he is the best leader for Germany. We are out of the depression thanks to our leader," Isabella stated.

"Mr Nationalist here read Mein Kampf," Abe stated, punching my shoulder. I flinched from the pain and rubbed my shoulder.

"B*****d, that hurt," I told him, pushing him back. He laughed and held up his hands.

"Not my fault you are so weak," he said. I rolled my eyes and led the way to the ice cream parlour.

"You know that Aryans are strong," Isabella stated. I smirked at Abe as he shrugged and opened the door to the ice cream parlour.

"You know that he is probably the weakest Aryan that we know out of all our friends," Abe stated and I shook my head as we found a table.

"You are such an idiot, Abelard," I stated and Isabella laughed as he gave me a look with an eye roll. I shook my head as a server walked up.

"Hello, how may I help you?" the server asked.

"Banana splits for all of us," Isabella stated and the server walked away to get the banana splits. I put my arm around her and she adjusted her skirts as her face turned a bright red.

"You know what? You are... What are they doing here?" Abe asked as the bell on the front door open. Isabella and I looked over and saw three Jewish boys walk in. They walked to a table and sat while we all looked at them.

I will be honest. I didn't understand what was wrong with the Jewish population. They were nice enough and I didn't think that the whole economic downfall was because of the Jews that were living. I didn't understand but I guess that was the thing about governments, they did what they thought was best for everyone.

"Someone has to get them to leave," Isabella stated and I looked at her with a face.

"We'll make them leave," Abe said as the server brought our banana splits and he threw one at the boys which caused everyone to throw stuff at them. I didn't do anything but watch. I felt so stupid and useless. I should have stood up for them.

"I'm going," I said as I slid out of the booth.

"Alaric!" Isabella yelled as I walked away. The three Jewish boys were already outside and in the alley way. I stopped and looked at them.

"Zach, let's go," one of the boys said as they pulled the boy standing closest to the front. They all looked nervous and I stuck my hand in my pocket. They all backed up out of fear and I stopped.

"I am not going to hurt you. I am just going to pull this out for you," I said as I stepped into the alley and pulled my hand out slowly. I held out my pocket square and they stared at me. "Take it to clean up." Zach walked forward and took it from my hand.

"Thank you," he said. I nodded and turned to walk home. I put my hands in the pockets of my coat and started walking home. "Why are you being so nice to us?" he asked. I looked back and stopped as I shrugged.

"You are German, just like me. Why wouldn't I help a fellow German?" I asked and he smiled as I started walking away. I kept my head up and couldn't help but to smile. Their looks were purely relief and joy that I wasn't going to do something to them.

Fear did funny things to people I guess. People wanted to make sure that they were secure and when something was different they didn't want it around anymore. I didn't understand and when I would ask my family, they told me that even at eighteen I was too young to understand. I only hoped that I would understand one day soon.