1. Little Matthews

"Is this forreal?" I ask my dad as he waltzes into the kitchen on Monday morning while I'm staring at the save the date on the fridge. The placard was announcing Kyle and Hannah's wedding that would be taking place later this spring. My dad smiles, nodding his head.

"It seems they're finally tying the knot" he confirms. "I mean, I understood when they said they wanted to wait a while after the whole unexpected birth of twins but I thought they'd make it to the altar before the girls turned sixteen."

I chuckle. My uncle had managed to knock up his longtime girlfriend just months after my mom found out she was pregnant with me and they ended up conceiving twins. They were both girls and despite being a few months younger than me they were still my two best friends in the entire universe. Blair and Casey were the only two people who knew my every secret and I trusted them with my life.

"Morning sweetheart" my mother greets me as she walks towards my father, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Good morning husband" she greets him. He beams back at her lovingly.

"Morning" he murmurs while I try to keep down the food I haven't even ingested yet. I reach on top of the fridge for the cereal but unfortunately I'm way too short...fortunately it's then that Jackson walks into the room.

"Jax" I exclaim. "Help" I plead. He laughs, rolling his eyes at me as he reaches up and grabs the cereal box for me.

"You're lucky I love you" he teases as he plops down at the dining table in the nook of our kitchen. I stick my tongue out at him and my dad laughs watching our exchange. I get my cereal and sit beside him at the table while Jax looks towards our dad and lets out a deep sigh. "Have you heard from her?"

Dad nods. "She's doing alright kiddo" he reports.

"Did she say anything about me?" he presses but sadly dad shakes his head.

I'm sure you're wondering why my step-brother is living with us and the short version is, his mom couldn't handle motherhood. She tried for awhile but when it became clear that my parents were staying together it set in with Jackson's mother that she would really have to raise him as a single parent and it overwhelmed her to the point where she left him with us. Now, she calls every few months to give us an update. Sometimes she asks about my brother and other times it seems she doesn't even remember he exists.

"Sorry sweetheart" my mom says to him and he smiles.

"Nothing you can do" he replies with a shrug. "But thanks mom" he adds.

I continue to enjoy my frosted flakes when the doorbell rings and my heart jumps into my throat. The person at the door could only be one of two people. Blair because of the twins she's the only one with her license or...

"That's probably Caleb" Jax says as he stands up and heads towards the door. I bring my bottom lip between my teeth as I await his arrival. I'm still in my pajamas which I know will earn me a few playful taunts but what will really kill me are the lingering glances that I can't tell are in my imagination or real.

Their voices fill the air and my dad chuckles as he watches me go on alert. "You could tell the boy you like him" he points out and I stare at him like he's lost his mind.

"Haha" I reply dryly as the boys make their way into the room. I look up and Caleb's dark green eyes land on me causing my breath to hitch on my throat. "Morning Caleb."

"Morning little Matthews" he replies making me groan inside. If only he would see me as Skyler instead of little Matthews. Perhaps I wouldn't be stuck writing about him in my journal and left wondering if his lips are as soft as they look. "Cute outfit" he comments. "I didn't know it was pajama day."