8. Snow Day

The next morning I wake up with blankets curled around me and my phone resting on my pillow beside me. I had been up most of the night refreshing the school closures waiting impatiently for mine to appear but I must've fallen asleep at some point because I didn't remember ever actually going to sleep. 

I reach across my bed for my phone and the time glares back at me telling me that it's only five in the morning and I sigh, unlocking my phone and finding the local news website open on my phone. I must've literally fallen asleep refreshing the closures page. 

I take a deep breath as I flick my thumb down to auto refresh and once it loads I slowly scroll down, nervous that I won't find Abigail Adams on the list but when my finger moves down the screen and the first grouping of closures appears my school stares back at me in bold letters. 

We had a snow day. 

My heart skips a beat as I lie back on my bed, staring at the ceiling and clutching my phone to my chest. It was a dumb bet we made that he could possibly go back on in the light of day but I hoped he didn't. I was actually starting to think that maybe this crush wasn't so one sided and despite my knowledge that pursuing anything with Caleb would be wrong and would severely piss off my brother I couldn't help myself. I really, really liked him. 

I glance back at the clock and sigh at the realization that I would have to lie here with this knowledge for the next few hours but I knew that there was no way in hell that I'd be getting anymore sleep this morning so instead of keeping myself locked in here I decide to go downstairs for an early breakfast. 

I slip on a pair of pink Victoria's Secret slippers and head towards my door, pulling it open at the same time my brother opens his door. I furrow my eyebrows at him in confusion as he closes his door behind himself, careful not to wake up his roommate. "Where are you going?" I whisper, crossing my arms over my chest as I step towards him. 

"I'm hitting the slopes with some ski bunnies from school" he smirks. "What are you doing up? I was planning on sneaking out undetected." I shrug. The last thing I could tell him was that I couldn't sleep because I was excited over the thought of having an actual date with his best friend so I know I have to come up with something convincing. 

"Cramps" I blurt out without thinking and I curse myself for being so awkward and terrible at lying. 

"Oh" he says, rubbing his neck. "Well uh good luck with that sis" he adds awkwardly, patting my shoulder. "I'll see you later." With that he walks out off down the stairs and I let out a breath of relief. It may not have been such a bad lie; guys hated the subject of girl's periods...as if they'd exist without them. 

The front door closes and I decide it's safe to head downstairs for a snack. I knew I couldn't make much without waking up the rest of the house so I settle on a classic, oreos and chocolate milk. I hoist myself up onto the counter and dip my cookie into my milk, taking a bite as I pull out my phone and start scrolling through Twitter. Most people were still asleep since it was early and indeed a snow day so I find myself getting bored pretty quickly, dropping my phone back onto the counter and glancing out the window at the snow that was still falling from the night before. We had at least six inches on the ground at this point. 

"You're up early." My head whips around to see Caleb standing at the front of the room wearing nothing but a pair of gray sweatpants that hung deliciously low on his hips. I find my eyes roaming down his chiseled torso all the way down to where his muscles disappear beneath the fabric of his pants and my cheeks feel like their on fire by the time I look back up into his eyes. 

"Uh good morning" I stutter, clearing my throat as I look away from him completely. "W-what are you doing awake?"

"Your brother woke me up. What about you? Did I hear something about cramps because that would certainly put a damper on my plans for today" he smirks, walking towards me and plucking a cookie off my plate.