24. Choosing Him

For most people today was just another day on a calendar but for me, today would change my life forever. Not only was it the day that Caleb was moving out but it was also Jackson's birthday. A usually joyous occasion that will no doubt go down in flames when Caleb and I tell him that we've been sneaking around and going behind his back.

When I climb out of bed and open my door I can already smell the food cooking downstairs and hear the sound of laughter, distinctly my brother's laughter. The sound makes me smile. It wasn't often that Jackson relaxed and let himself enjoy the life he'd been given instead choosing to dwell on things out of his control that he couldn't change. But his birthday was different. It was his day.

I walk down the steps and towards the kitchen where my brother and my parents are huddled over the kitchen table with a heaping pile of pancakes on a plate in the center and half-empty glasses of juice in front of each of them. They were still laughing about something that I had missed but calm when they see me hovering in the entryway. "Good morning sweetheart." My mom is immediately on her feet, retrieving a plate for me as I take a seat beside my brother.

"Morning sis."

"Hey. Happy birthday." He smiles, ruffling my hair like he used to when we were younger and it makes my heart swell. I wish that he was always like this. Perhaps, I'd be less terrified to tell him that I was involved with his best friend if he was.

As soon as my mom sets my plate down I pile it high, dripping syrup over the pancakes and adding a few strawberries to the side of my plate. "Oh. I forgot my juice." I stand up to get it but run smack dab into Caleb who had just joined us from upstairs.

His hair is damp letting on that he'd been showering and he smells of my brother's body wash. He was clothed in a pair of distressed jeans and a white v-neck that hugged him in all the right places. In short, he looked hot as hell. "Sky. Hey." He stops just before we can fully collide and his hand flies to his neck, rubbing it nervously.

"Hi." I reply shortly, edging around him and continuing towards the fridge to retrieve my juice. I grab the peach punch, my new favorite, and pour myself a glass, taking a sip before I head back to my seat.

"Happy birthday man" Caleb says, clapping his best friend on the shoulder. "Feel old yet?"

"Not a day over sixteen" he teases. The boys share a laugh and my heart aches. I could only hope that they would still be friends at the end of today.

The rest of breakfast passes in small talk until my parents decide it's finally time to start cleaning the kitchen. Caleb offers to help but when he's dismissed he decides to disappear upstairs to finish packing. Jackson turns to face me once we're alone. "Has he said anything to you since our chat the other day?"

I bite my tongue. He had said a few things since then. And we had done some things since then. I worry about my boyfriend's wellbeing if my brother finds out that he's seen me naked. I'll have to remind Caleb that our sex life is topic non-grata when talking to my brother. "No." I lie. I couldn't wait to stop lying. I needed to get upstairs to talk to Caleb about our plan.

"Promise?"

I don't know what to say. To promise him that I'm telling him the truth now and lie or confess everything. Luckily, the doorbell rings, saving me from having to say anything at all.

Jackson gets out of his seat. "I got it." He announces. I take that as my cue to get the hell out of the kitchen and rush upstairs to my brother's bedroom where Caleb was in fact busy packing. I shut the door behind myself, catching my boyfriend's attention.

"I thought you were Jax" he says, straightening up and looking at me. "What's up?" I knead my hands, bringing my bottom lip between my teeth. My nervous tick.