6. The Roadblock

The next morning I'm woken up by the sound of glass shattering. I pop out of bed and rush down the stairs, not bothering to put on a robe or a bra before bursting into the kitchen where I find Caleb cleaning up the remnants of the party. I had cleaned a bit before I had eaten my midnight snack but I didn't do any heavy cleaning like Caleb was doing now. "What are you doing?"

Caleb looks up from the counter and offers me a sympathetic smile. "Did I wake you? I found a random beer bottle on the floor and it shattered when I threw it away. I'm sorry sweetheart."

I let out a breath of relief, glad he hadn't hurt him and cross my arms over my chest. "It's okay. I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself" I reply causing his lips to quirk into a smile. "Are you cleaning all by yourself?"

"Uh yea" he nods, abandoning the sponge on the counter and leaning against it. "I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd come down here and make sure there were no remnants of last night" he explains. "Your brother just sorta cleaned up but didn't bother to clean up spills or try to get the scent of beer out of the air."

I chuckle. My brother wasn't one for details. "That sounds about right" I concede, walking towards the fridge and pulling out a carton of apple juice. "Why couldn't you sleep?" I ask curiously. He shrugs, handing me a clean glass from the drying rack beside the sink. 

"No specific reason. I just couldn't shut my brain off."

My lips turn into a frown as I look up at him. Caleb was much too good of a person to be struggling with so much. I couldn't imagine waking up one morning and learning that my dad was gone for no other reason than he couldn't be a father anymore. I think of my brother and how lucky he is that he at least knows that his father never wanted to leave him and that he loved him; Caleb would never have that closure. 

"Have you heard from your mom this morning?" I ask, lifting my glass to my lips and taking a small sip. He shakes his head. 

"She probably won't call for a few days. Yesterday was the first time I had heard from her since I got here." 

"Caleb I'm so sorry" I apologize. "I-I wish there was something I could do-."

"Sky" he smiles, placing his hand over mine on the counter causing my heart to jump out of my chest. "You just being here and listening to me is more than enough."

"Okay" I concede, unwilling to argue with him. I didn't quite understand how I could possibly be helping by just being here but if all he needed was a shoulder to lean on and an ear to listen then I would happily be both for him. 

Suddenly, the front door flies open and Caleb and I split apart to opposite ends of the kitchen as my parents walk into the house. "We're back" my mom exclaims, lugging her bags behind her. 

"Hi mom" I reply, walking towards her and grabbing her bag. "How was the trip?" I ask, looking up at my dad. He smiles. 

"It went well. Your brother is doing well in the city and he has the nicest neighbor" my mom says. I purse my lips together to stifle a laugh. I wondered if my brother would describe her that way or if he'd use the opposite sentiment considering their purely physical interactions. 

"Neighbor" Caleb says thoughtfully as he walks towards us. "Is that the one he's-."

"Really good friends with. Mhm" I hum, cutting him off and cutting a glare towards him. I didn't realize he was privy to my brother's sexual conquests but nonetheless I was positive that my brother didn't want my parents to find out. "Caleb shouldn't you be getting ready to do" I pause, turning towards him, "something."

He smirks, crossing his arms over his chest. "I don't have any plans Little Matthews. Unless of course there was something you wanted to do with me?"