14. Sneaky Snacks

As the boys footsteps fade off down the hallway I decide that it's probably safe to leave without any suspicion. I peek my head out the door and sure enough the hallway is void of anyone who would care or notice my presence and connect it in any way to my brother's best friend...my friend? My boyfriend? Who knew at this point?

I smooth out my hair and take the steps one at a time, using the high vantage point to my advantage, searching the crowd for Hunter. I knew it was a long shot since he had run off with a football player who was definitely still closeted and not into public displays of affection.

I reach the landing and immediately feel that Caleb is nearby and sure enough, turning around I find him standing beside my brother with a red solo cup pressed to his lips. He glances over at me and a blush automatically rises on my cheeks as I look away and head off into the crowd. I needed to find Hunter and get out of here before I jumped Caleb in front of the entire party.

I push through more and more people until finally I reach another long hallway and start down it. I pull my phone out of my pocket and open my Find My Friends app and immediately Hunter's phone pops up on the screen. He was two doors down.

I pocket my phone once again and knock on the door rather loudly because I know he won't hear me over the music spilling out of the room otherwise. I knew he's going to be pissed that he's being interrupted but I needed to get out of here. Parties just weren't for me. "Hunter" I pound on the door with both my hands but hear no response. I groan, leaning my back against it and looking back into the chaos inside.

I didn't want to stay here all night.

I decide to give up on Hunter and head back through the party out into the front yard and start to wager walking home. It wasn't that far away. I'd be fine.

I start down the sidewalk but it's not even seven seconds later that I feel him coming up behind me before stopping at my side. I don't bother to look up at him before speaking. "You following me?"

"Where's Hunter?" he asks, stopping in front of me. "A girl as young and stunning as you shouldn't ever be walking alone at night." I finally look up at Caleb and find him with his arms crossed over his broad chest. I allow my eyes a few extra seconds to stare at the curl of his biceps in this position and I'm wondering if he'd be able to lift me...or how they'd ripple trying to hold himself up on top of-. Nope. Stop that. Jeez, Skyler! Control yourself!

"Hunter is currently screwing someone on the football team and apparently can't be bothered to drive me home and I already told you I was leaving."

"Yes and I told you to get home safe" he counters. "And yet I see you walk out of that damn house alone. You do watch the news, right?"

I roll my eyes. He was as bad as my brothers in the protective department, the only difference was he was actually trying to 'romance' me as they'd say in those bodice ripping books you always see in the bookstores that your grandmother reads.

"Caleb. I'm a big girl. I'll be fine."

"Sky" he sighs-.

"Skyler" Hunter pants, running up to me. "Jesus, you move fast. I had to get dressed" he explains. I stifle a laugh realizing that he is indeed quite haphazardly put together complete with a misbuttoned top and untied shoes. He looks up to Caleb with furrowed eyebrows. "Hey dude. Everything alright?"

He tears his intent gaze from me and moves it to my best friend, nodding his head while he lifts his hand to rub the back of his neck. "Yea everything is fine. Just-. Just get her home safe alright" he says before glancing back at me. "Please text me when you get there." I nod my head, reaching up to peck his cheek.