7. Uncovering the Truth

Waking up the next morning is like waking up into a nightmare. I had hoped that I had been asleep and imagined the conversation with Jackson but upon waking up I know that's not true. I was wide awake and plagued by confusion. 

It just seemed impossible that every moment I had shared with Caleb had been some huge ploy for him to get me into bed. He just didn't seem like the type of guy to do something like that and I had to believe that he had shared so much with me because he trusted me not because he wanted to wager sympathy from me. 

A knock sounds on my door and I groan , burying my head into my pillow. "I'm not getting out of bed today" I yell and the laugh that sounds from the other side of the door makes my heart stop in my chest. 

"Um okay. Can I open the door then?" Caleb asks and I feel as if I might burst into tears. How was I supposed to live with him now? It was already hard enough when I was trying to hide my feelings from him but now I had to practically ignore him. My heart wasn't going to survive. "Skyler" he knocks again. 

I bite back tears, shaking my head. "Just go away Caleb" I cry out as tears start to stream down my face. I just needed him to go away to calm myself down a bit. 

"Sweetheart did I do something?" he asks worriedly and my heart absolutely shatters in my chest. I climb out of bed and stomp across the floor, pulling open the door and staring at him through my blurred vision. "Sky" he murmurs, stepping towards me. "What's going on?"

I step back. "I want you to leave me alone" I say steadily as tears roll down my cheeks. "We can't be friends Caleb" I insist, turning to walk back to my bed but he follows. 

"What the hell are you talking about?" he asks, grabbing my arm and turning me to face him. "Skyler what happened?" 

I sniffle, wiping at my cheeks. "I found out the truth" I reply simply. "And I guess I shouldn't have been shocked but-."

"The truth about what?" he demands. "Skyler, sweetheart, you aren't making any damn sense right now" he says, moving his hands to my shoulders. "Who told you what?"

I open my mouth to respond when my brother appears in my doorway. "What's going on here?" he demands and Caleb quickly lets me go and turns to face his best friend. 

"I was going to invite Skyler to the arcade with us" Caleb says simply and my heart stirs back to life even if just for a moment before I'm reminded that this is all just a part of his game. "But when I got here I found her crying so I was trying to get her to talk to me about whatever it is that's bothering her."

Jackson looks past his best friend at me. "Do you want him here?" he asks and while every single fiber of my being does in fact want him here, I know I have to say no. I can't keep playing into Caleb's hands. 

"No" I say softly. Caleb's eyes widen as he looks at me, absolute confusion written on his face. "You guys should have fun at the arcade today" I add as I pad back over to my bed and climb underneath the covers. 

Jackson's lips quirk into a smirk. "Told you" he taunts Caleb. "Let's go man" he adds, turning around to leave but Caleb hangs back. 

"I hope you feel better Sky" he says, looking back towards me before following after my brother and leaving the room while I burst into another round of tears. 

***********************************************************************************************

I leave my room once they leave the house. My friends all wanted to hang out and do something today but I send them a quick text, telling them I'm not feeling well which wasn't a total lie on account of my broken heart.