10. Overprotective Brothers

The next morning my alarm blares at six a.m. and I'm instantly regretting my decision to wake up early to surprise my mom with breakfast. I reach over and press snooze, snuggling back into the warm embrace of my bed but after a few minutes a loud knock sounds on my door and I groan. "Go away" I shout, earning a chuckle from the boy on the other side. My doorknob twists followed by a quiet creak before it shuts again and footsteps pad across the room. 

"I thought you wanted to surprise your mom" Caleb says, taking a seat on the bed beside me. I open my eyes and look up at him, propping my head up on a pillow. 

"I thought about it further and I think I need my beauty rest more."

He laughs, shaking his head. "Trust me Sky, you're gorgeous without the help of sleep." A blush rises on my cheek as I realize for the first time that I literally just woke up. I haven't prepared myself to see anyone, especially my crush, at all. My hair was probably a disaster and my teeth were unbrushed, hell, I wasn't even wearing a bra.  

"If I agree to come downstairs will you leave so I can make myself presentable?" I ask hopefully, hugging my blankets to my chest. He rolls his eyes, climbing off my bed. 

"I'll go but for the record, you're adorable with bedhead" he smirks before walking out of my room and leaving me blushing profusely. I swore that having our feelings out in the open would kill me. I couldn't handle all the shameless flirting without being able to act on any of it. 

Finally, I get myself out of bed, brush my teeth and hair and change into a pair of yoga pants and a periwinkle camisole before heading downstairs where Caleb is already raiding the pantry. "Do you have pancake mix?" he asks without a proper greeting and I laugh as I pull open the cabinet next to the one he was scouring and grab the mix from the top shelf. 

He purses his lips, snatching the box from my hand. "I would've gotten there eventually."

"Mhm" I giggle, leaning back against the counter. "So, we're making pancakes?" I ask, raising an inquisitive eyebrow at him. 

"We are making pancakes" he confirms, grabbing the milk from the fridge. "And I was thinking maybe eggs and toast" he adds, adding the required ingredients to his haul.

"Okay" I agree easily. I was actually a pretty good cook so pancakes and eggs were simple enough. "Where do you want me?" I ask, using the hair-tie on my wrist to throw my hair up out of my face. I watch as Caleb's eyes flicker down for a moment, definitely checking out my chest but I let it go, dropping my hands once my hair is secure. "Caleb" I repeat, snapping my fingers and he shakes his head, his cheeks turning bright red. 

"Sorry" he apologizes, clearing his throat. "You just" he pauses, biting his lip. "You usually dress in much less revealing clothes around me."

I laugh. "No I don't but I give you props for waiting to shamelessly check me out until you told me you were into me" I add teasingly. I honestly didn't care if he checked me out from time to time since I spent more time than I could count looking at his ass or his chest whenever he graced me with his shirtless presence.  "But we should start breakfast" I add. "So-."

"You could crack some eggs" he suggests, sliding them across the counter towards me. "I'll get you a bowl." I smile, nodding in agreement. He grabs a big blue bowl from the cabinets underneath us and hands it to me and I get to work cracking all the eggs into it while he starts the pancake mix. "So" he starts, glancing at me while we work beside one another. "What happened after I left your locker yesterday?"

I laugh. "Well, Hunter practically fainted after I told him-."

"You told them?" he asks, looking over at me and my heart stops. Was I not supposed to tell people?