Chapter 27: Empty

*Harry's POV*

The sky was getting a dark blue color. It was cold, but there wasn't a hard wind nor was there rain. The moon was already appearing, due to the early November sky. And I was still driving in silent. We only already sat half an hour in the car, but it felt like there had passed hours, days. Every second felt like an hour. But I wasn't impatient, at the contrary, I had the patience to wait more hours, more days. But I wasn't the only one in my car. There was this beautiful young girl sitting beside me, who I love with my heart that I didn't even know existed, and I had to tell her on this very moment what will change her life. And not in a pleasant way, but in an anxious.

I already made the discussion between me and myself to tell her or not and my decision was to tell her. I keep trying to tell myself that that's the best for her, that if I don't tell her she will constantly mull about it. And even that is true, I know that I'm telling her because I want to, maybe need to.

So After more seconds, more hours, I finally open my mouth and start speaking. "As you already know, I met Ric only two years ago. I was new here and wanted to party, drink and stuff. So I started hanging out with him. After a year of doing all that shit stuff, there were things going on. I don't know or it already was going on for longer, but I saw things, I heard things. A couple of weeks before New Year's eve Ric and some other men were talking about getting a girl. They were with three or four and I listened more closely. They were talking in Ric's apartment and they assumed I had already left, so I knew it wasn't intended for me to hear it. I tried to listen more closely, but I didn't hear a lot more, so I went home and just decided to left it behind. But then a couple weeks later, an hour before midnight on New Year's eve, I saw Ric and three other men talking to a girl on a big party in some sort of club. She was drunk as fuck and Ric and his gang led her outside."

I take a break to look at Melanie. She's still not assuming anything, she knows there will happen something, but she doesn't have any idea of the cruelty.

"I remembered their talk so I followed them. The city was full of people, it was dark and only some lighting lit the streets. At first I could easily keep them up, because of the lights, but then they were taking small streets, dark streets with no lighting and no other people around. They were getting more closely to the Hudson River and they stopped walking when they arrived in a dark street, not far away from the Hudson. The girl still thought there was not a cloud in the sky, until.. until Ric pushed her against a wall. The girl started shouting, but I didn't do anything. I couldn't, I just knew that if.. if I would appear, they would kill me. They were with four and I was alone. So the girl fell on her knees and Ric and his gang well they started ripping off her clothes.."

Again I stop for a minute. I try to focus on the road while looking at Melanie, who is now in shock.. And she even doesn't know the worst part yet. I know I should've saved that girl, at least have tried. But I didn't have any chance.. That girl was mortal, so if I would have shown myself, they would first beat me up and then still go after that girl..

"That was the moment I took my heel. I couldn't regard it any longer. I felt sorry for the girl, but she was blind drunk. She tried to run away, but even a turtle would be faster. I hoped the whole night that the girl made it alive.. But the next day I saw in the papers that the same girl was missing.. A week later they found her body in the Hudson River.. Everyone thinks she was just too blind drunk that she fell herself in the river, but I knew she had been raped and who knows what more.."

That was the whole story. A horrible story, were people could make a movie of. I feel horrible, bad, guilty, scared, anxious. And now there isn't any way back, I just told Melanie this. How could I? How could I tell an innocent, beautiful girl such a horrible story? And the story is real, it's not a movie nor a book nor is this theater, this happened for real.