Chapter 28: It's shortened

*Harry's POV*

My eyes are focusing on the sky. The beautiful darkness with nothing but stars which are the only light we have right now. We don't have any light at the end of the tunnel. Ric has made my life a cave where there's no lightning, the sun nor the moon can sneak in. The worst thing wasn't my darkness, it was hers, Melanie's. 

She always had seen darkness, but she at least had some light. The light of her brother and her gran, they are particularly the only thing that are keeping her alive. Her cave had some gaps where lightning can sneek in, but now.. after I told her about Ricarl, the gaps are disappearing. And maybe a moment ago they had disappeared, all. It was too much for her, and I should've known that. 

I have no idea where it will go from now. We're both lying in the grass, watching the sky. I can tell it's already over midnight by the darkness of the sky, but time is the least problem right now. 

"We'll get through this Harry. It's gonna be okay, everything will be okay eventually." Melanie's hoarse voice speaks, again. She's saying this for over an hour already. As much as I want to believe her, I don't. She still doesn't know the full part.. She knows he's a threat, a danger, but she doesn't know that her friend will actually be his next victim, and maybe Melanie will follow her. 

I've only seen Ric hurting a girl once, but after I found out she was found in the Hudson River close by New Year, I remembered something that I had read every year.. 

I researched the papers since 2000 and on every fifth of January there was happened the same thing, a girl found in the Hudson River. Of course Ricarl couldn't have done them all, he's only twenty now.. So it must be a group where members leave and members join.

The most dangerous part of it all is that this group will not stop, and maybe.. Ric is only a part of a big group.. Maybe there are more cases on New Year's Eve, but the papers tell us only one case. 

I tried to go to the police.. But what would they do? The culprit couldn't be found and even if he would have been found, there would still be other members of this group walking through the streets. 

"Would there be something wrong with me?" Melanie asks, almost crying, some words not coming out fully. 

"What do you mean?" I turn on my side looking at her body that's lying in the grass. Some tears are escaping from her eyes. 

"I mean.. There must be something wrong with me. There happens nothing but bad things in my life, no sparkle happiness has been in it.." Tears are making her cheeks wet. 

"There's nothing wrong with you Mel. I don't know why there are such a bad things happening to you, because you shouldn't may go through them." I don't know what to say. I'm actually the cause why she's like this right now. She could a perfect happy life without me, and now she's a mess. 

Silence returns and as long as she's keeping quiet, I am too. Maybe she needs this, this silence. I can't do more than just keep myself quiet. God I hate it. Why can't I be someone who can make her happy, who doesn't have a background, just be there for her without putting my own problems on her. 

After a while the sky is getting a lighter color, so it must be almost morning. I decide to open my mouth, though I promised myself to keep quiet. "Hey Mel, it's almost morning.. Do you want to go back or stay?" I ask, as much as I want her to answer "stay", I know she wants to go back. Well, she doesn't really want to, she needs to for her brother and her friends. 

If those people weren't in our way, we could just escape from all of this. Just drive until we're at a place were nobody knows us, no Ric and we could just resume, have a complete new start.