Chapter 21: The roof

*Harry's POV*

"What are we doing here?" She asks as soon as the view of the elevators slowly perceive.

"Well.. We're going to the roof." I say. I know she's scared of elevators, but she has to win over that fear.

"Can't we go with the stairs, you know I'm afraid of elevators." She tries not to panic, but I know that deep inside she's already panicking. She always panics, like earlier. It's even funny to just see her panic. It's okay to panic and to have stress, but sometimes she can so overreact the situation.

"I know.. But since you have a day of, I thought it would be a good time to win over that fear."

"I don't think so.." She says, rolling her eyes. She tries to head back to the apartment, but I grab her wrist. She probably gonna hate me now, but there's no way she's gonna get away with this. She tries to get away from my grip, but in vein. "Can you let go of me?" She says, faking a smile that should say "please".

"No, you're gonna take that elevator to the roof." I speak, pointing to the elevators.

"What's on the roof anyway?" She says, slightly annoyed.

"You will find out yourself." I know she hates surprises. But I love the way she always gets so frustrated if she doesn't know what it is.

"You know, it's okay for people having fears.."

"True, but because of this fear, you're gonna end up in trouble.. How will you ever find a good job? Every office job in New York is in a high building.."

"I'll just take the staircase." She says undoubtedly, crossing her arms.

"That's unsustainable. Let's just try.."

"Fine." She says against her will.

We stand in front of the elevators. There are five in total. Thankful they're not being used at the moment, everyone is probably already headed to their job.

Melanie's face is getting pale and I know that she's scared as hell. She always plays on the safe side, never needed to fear anything. Well not that I know of.. She still have to tell me her secrets..

The elevator arrives and the doors open. I get in the small space, but Melanie is not moving a leg. She's staying rock steady, just staring at the elevator.

"Euhm.. Melanie.." I try to bring her out of the trance she's in. I have to say that I didn't expect this.. I had expected it would be a lot easier to get her in. Elevators aren't the worst fear to deal with.

She doesn't react and I put myself between the elevator and the corridor, so that if the doors try to close, I can hold them.

I don't know what I should do, but I'm certainly not giving up.

"Melanie talk to me." I speak, and it's coming out more confident than I actually am at the moment.

"I'm just really scared Harry.." And it's the most honest thing I've ever heard her say. She's so vulnerable right now. I saw her broken once, I saw her tired as hell once, I saw her crying once.. But I've never seen her scared, I've never seen anyone as scared as her. I know that there exist much worse cases, but I've never been confronted with any..

"I know.. But just get in.. It only takes a minute or something.." I'm probably doing this whole getting-over-your-fears totally wrong, but I'm not a fucking psychologist.

"No! I'm not getting in there! I'm so not!" She's now walking circles and moving her arms. As steady as she was only a minute ago, as flexible she is now. This seems like to go in phases. First we had the paralyzed phase, now the energy phase.. I'm wondering what's next.