chapter four; my prayer that spent all night in tears

"My life was rock bottom, an edge of a cliff
I'm walking in a dark tunnel
Cruel and fearful days
I'm enduring through alone
I hold out my hand, but no one is there to grab it
I'm riding on my pain and my tears as I try to escape above"
[hellevator]
-stray kids

"It can't be.." She accidentally said, out loud.

"What?" He asked, in a 'im-trying-not-to-be-annoyed-but-it's-hard-not-to-be' tone.

Hyejin covered her mouth and picked up her seat. "Nothing.." He looked at her and then took out his phone.

It's Felix.. from 10 years ago.. she thought. He doesn't remember me.. And now he probably thinks I'm a crazy weirdo that can't even walk properly..

Yeseul barged into the room. "The teacher is coming!" She yelled, and went to her seat and put her phone away. Hyejin turned off her phone and slid it into her pocket.

It's still so uncomfortable knowing that Felix is my classmate.. should I tell him that I'm Hyejin.. but it's been 10 years.. it doesn't matter anymore.. he can just think of me as a new classmate, she thought.

The door opened. A lady wearing a blue dress with orange flowers came in. She held a big, pink tote bag that had the words I could care less on it.

Mood.

"Hello, kids!" She said, in an extremely cheerful tone.

She is not normal, Hyejin thought.

After the teacher called out the students' names and introduced herself as Mrs. Kim, she went on about an early school project.

"I know you guys don't like projects— barely anyone does, BUT, this project will be fun! Within about two months, you should become friends with the person sitting next to you, from left to right. I don't have a specific due date, because it might take longer for people to befriend one another. Talk to me after class if you have any questions!"

Hyejin glanced at Felix, who was doodling in his notebook. "It's going to be one long year.." She murmured.

"You must complete three tasks. One, go somewhere fun together (take a picture together as proof).
Two, eat lunch together (take a picture as proof).
Three, do a fun activity at each other's homes (take a picture as proof).
Finally, write a paragraph of what you learned about each other! Have fun!"

Hyejin wanted to protest. Felix didn't even pay attention! But when Hyejin raised her hand, Mrs. Kim already turned to face the chalkboard.

"Changbin! Over here!" Felix called. He was standing next to a café near the school and saw Changbin across the street.

Changbin ran over, panting. "Hey bro, sorry, but I think we have to wait for Somin. She's asking a teacher for help on her homework right now and she will be done soon."

"Honestly, it's not even your fault, Binnie.."

"It's not her fault, I guess she just forgot."

"Binnie is such a nice boyfriend~" Felix joked.

"Gosh, stop. You make me crINGE." Changbin laughed. Changbin then received a text message.

notification from Minnie

Minnie
I can't make it. Tell Felix I'm sorry :(
Love youuu
seen 14:20 pm

"What is it?"

"Oh, Minnie told you she can't make it and that she's sorry."

"Wow. Fifteen minutes WASTED!" Felix groaned.

"Sorry, man. I'll buy you lunch."

"Ooh~ it's on you then!" Felix sent him an air kiss.

(A/N: High quality king, low quality screenshot ♡ ♡ ♡)

Changbin rolled his eyes and laughed.

Hyejin was the last one to get out of the classroom. "Is life kidding me right now? I have to explain the whole project to him because he didn't pay attention and he's going to keep in mind that I'm a dumb freak. Ahbjjjjeijdidke."

(A/N: rip hyejin)