Chapter 23: Mother's Approval

"Is there anywhere you want to go?" Nathan said opening the car door for Anne-Lee.

"Let's do whatever you want first then i'll tell you where I want to go." Anne-Lee told him. He smiled if it was one thing he loved dressing her up. Like she was a doll. Those sundresses he had bought her before she even moved he had imagined her in those dresses a million times. She was his summer baby.

"Let's do some shopping." Nathan said. She rolled her eyes he love taking her shopping. She never asked for anything from him but he insisted. After they went shopping he had all the things that he bought basically delivered to his house. He had completely bought her a new wardrobe and she had refuse him but he couldn't resist. Eventually, he had found her a style that she would like.

She had bought him a few things too behind his back. She had used the little money that she had and bought him some Armani Suits and some cologne. He had paid her a lot. Then she bought her a new PS4 system and a few games for herself. Especially Tekken 7.  

"Now, that you got that out of your system I want you meet someone but I'm driving." She said once she threw some of the bags in the backseat of his Range Rover. He blinked for a few seconds and hopped in the passenger side of the truck. Anne-Lee got in the driver's seat and started making way to her mother's home. She had to see her mother's reaction to the man she was about to bring home. Nathan on the other hand had no idea where she was going.

Soon he had fell asleep for the rest of the ride. He held her thigh all while he was sleep though. He couldn't resist touching her it just felt so nice to him. When she took his hand off her thigh thats when he woke up. When he looked out the window he saw a cute little house and a old lady that looked like an older version of Anne-Lee.

He saw the old lady smile and wave.

"This is my home."  Anne-Lee told him softly. He smiled at her and looked back at the home. He could imagine a little baby Anne-Lee. He calmed his brain and made him peaceful.

Anne-Lee got out the truck and ran to her mother.

"Hey baby." Her mother hugged her tightly. "I was wondering when your grouchy ass boss would let you leave the city."

"About that." Anne-Lee said while her face was still nuzzled in her mother's neck. Then she lifted up her head and stared in her mom's eyes. "I brought him with me."

"I finally get to meet the bastard. I bet he is some old man with a bald head."
Anne-Lee motioned for Nathan to come out of the car. Nathan gulped and fixed his hair a little bit. It was like he moved in slow motion when he got out. Gale's mouth was opened ajar. "Hot damn hunny."

"I know."

"This man is your boss? Are you sure about that? Are you lying to me? Because he looking at you like he could turn you inside out right now." Gale told her.

Nathan finally had reached Anne-Lee and Gale. He couldn't breathe if Anne-Lee was going to look this good when she got older than he had chose the right woman.

"Nathan, this is my mother Gale Daniels." Anne-Lee introduced. "Mom, this is Nathan Young my boss."

"And her man." Nathan finished and shook her mother's hand.

"I see." Gale squinted her eyes at him. Trying to analyze him the best way she could. "You the one that gave her all the trouble last time she came to see me."

"Yes."

"Yes what?"

"Yes ma'am." Nathan quickly corrected himself. It was like her eyes were staring him right in the soul.

"Y'all come on in this house." She said and went in. Anne-Lee lead Nathan in the house.  "Anne-Lee, why don't you go upstairs take a nap or something. Keep yourself busy and let me talk to Nathan."

"Are you sure?"

"You know I have to have the talk with him."

"Ok mama." Anne-Lee said and walked upstairs. Gale waited until she closed the door and turned to Nathan.

"Just what are your intentions with my baby? My ONLY baby." Gale asked.

"I love her Mrs. Daniels." Nathan started. "There is no doubt about it."

"She has been through a lot Nathan."Gale held up a CD. Nathan couldn't tell what was written on it. "I'll show you."

"What is that?"

"What's she has been through Nathan." Gale slid the CD in the player. "I'm going to show you the eyes I never want to see again from her."

Nathan watched it was a video of Anne-Lee it was a talent show. She was in High School and the people cheer for her. She was dressed in a white dress that would remind you of mother nature in a way. She wore no shoes on stage she just looked like a free person. A free bird.

'Strumming my pain with his fingers,
Singing my life with his words.'

He heard her sing and it was the most beautiful voice he had ever heard. His bird singing and she looked beautiful and it just made his heart flutter.

"It was her favorite song at the time. It was our song that we would sing together." Gale started. "What she didn't tell me at the time is that she was being bullied heavily in High School. I didn't find out until that day."

'He sang as if he knew me in all my dark despair,
And then he look right through me as if I wasn't there.'

Nathan went to a trance her voice soothed him. Then all of a sudden objects were thrown on stage and chairs were being thrown by a group of girls sitting in the front row. Anne-Lee was hit in the head and was knocked unconscious. But before she was unconscious he saw the fear and the sadness in her eyes. Something he never wanted to see again. Then the video was cut off.

"I haven't heard my baby sing since. I've been waiting for the day for her to at least hum again.  What you need to understand Nathan is that if I ever see her eyes like that again I won't hesitate to kill you where you stand. I am her father and mother now. I've lived my life and I don't mind going to jail for my baby. Do you hear me?" Gale poked him in his chest.

"I won't move if you try to kill me. You can shoot me as many times as you like." Nathan told her. "I promise to make her so happy that she sings again."

"Alright, I'll be looking for the day. I like you Nathan. I really do. Any man that will shut down the whole city just to find one girl is kind of crazy but I respect it. You don't have to ask me if I would bless you to marry her. I already approved but you do wrong by her. It's over for you."

"I understand." Nathan told her and stood up. She hugged him.

"I hope your little soldiers are marching right because I want me some grandbabies." Gale said suddenly. Nathan eyes widened and then softened. His life was getting better and better each day. And he couldn't ask for nothing better.