15

Maverick was the last wizard on Earth that Newt wanted ______ to be with. The fact it was Maverick setting dementors out in New York was something Newt didn't have a hard time imagining, but the fact that he now had ______ with him made a burning sensation fill Newt. He was more motivated than ever now to find her, and he would do anything to get her back. Newt turned to Dumbledore, ready to find out more and get to business. "How did he get the dementors from Azkaban to come to New York?"

"The current theory is that it was an inside job," Dumbledore told him. "Maybe he got a job and plotted from there, maybe he knew someone, we're not sure. However, after some investigation, all I found out is that it was rumored that they were brought over here to New York."

Newt thought about it for a moment. He didn't know much about Maverick, but from what he knew, he felt like he had been lied to. Maverick wasn't dead like he thought, he was alive, so obviously there was more to him than they all thought. Either Swooping Evil didn't do what he usually does well, or something else was going on here. Newt didn't know and couldn't remember if he had ever been taught a way to live beyond death, but if there was, did Maverick have it? Was he in control if he lives or dies? How was that even possible?

Dumbledore knew the answer to this, but he wouldn't give it away for a long time. It was a dark magic that no one should be exposed to, and he was disappointed that there was a book with details about it in his own school. The fact that the current headmaster allowed it was unspeakable, and Dumbledore had raised concern about it before, but he was ignored.

"Why would someone want to do something like this?" Newt asked. "It doesn't make sense, why would someone go through the trouble of gathering dementors, somehow stealing them, and bringing them to America just to terrorize Muggles?"

Dumbledore sighed. "I only have a small piece of information when it comes to that. It appears this 'Maverick' fellow thinks that terrorizing Muggles will somehow help the wizarding community."

Newt fought the urge to roll his eyes. "Another Grindelwald," Newt sighed. "That's great."

Dumbledore shrugged, not wanting to get on the subject of Grindelwald. "Maverick believes that by getting rid of Muggles or scaring them into submission by attacking them with a creature they can't see will allow wizards to gain some power again and no longer live in the shadows. However, I fear that the exact opposite will happen. If something like this continues to happen, and Muggles turn to blaming magic, we'll go right back into the Burning Times."

Newt shuddered at the thought. If that were true, more negative consequences would happen than he could even predict. One thing he couldn't get out of his mind was the fact that another Obscurus as powerful as Credence's could happen. Newt had never seen an Obscurus as powerful as him, and now that he knew it was possible, he feared to see what would happen if young witches and wizards were made to repress their magic again.

The thought of something like that happening made Newt just want to run and find ______, get her out of Maverick's grasp and bring Maverick down once and for all. More than ever, Newt was itching to get out there and find him, but he knew it wouldn't be easy. Even having a name wasn't going to help, and Dumbledore had been searching before he had and hadn't come across anything that got him closer to finding him.

But two heads were always better than one.

"Let's go and find him," Newt said, looking at Dumbledore and making direct eye-contact. "Once and for all. What are we waiting for?"