17

Queenie's visits with Jacob had gotten more frequent ever since what happened to ______. She was already worried for him the second she knew that they were targeting no-majs, but now more than ever she felt like she needed to be by his side. Dementors were a creature to be reckoned with, and Jacob had no way of defending himself against them. She tried convincing him to lay low for a while, maybe sell something away from his usual beast-shaped pastries. He refused, however. He didn't want to change what he did out of fear.

"If this evil wizard guy wants to come and get a piece of me, I'd like to him try," Jacob told Queenie, acting tough to impress her. Despite them being together for a while now, he was always looking for new ways to impress her and make her laugh or smile. Usually, something like that made her laugh, but she seemed dead serious and concerned.

"Jacob, please," she began, taking his hands and looking at him with pleading eyes. "This man really is dangerous, and it's no matter to take lightly. I'm scared for you..." she trailed off and bit her lip. She tried not to gossip, she told herself she was better tan that, but she needed a way to convince Jacob that he could be in some real danger. "Do you remember meeting Newt's girlfriend, ______?"

He nodded slowly, remembering her face and matching her name to it before fully remembering. "Yeah, I remember her. She was a looker. What about her?"

"She's disappeared. We don't know where she went, but Tina last saw her being attacked, and there was nothing she could do. Newt is in MACUSA's cells, and we have to tell him that ______ didn't exist because the truth is so much worse. Jacob, I don't want you to disappear. I can't imagine that happening. Just please... until this thing blows over, stop making the beast pastries." Queenie told him all at once.

Jacob stood there, shocked. He couldn't imagine what Newt was going through. He considered Newt to be one of his closest friends, despite not being able to talk to him very much recently. ______ was a wonderful person too, and he had only gotten to meet her once. He had even hoped that when they went back to Britain that they would be able to write each other, and that he and Newt would be able to talk to each other more.

But no.

But no.

Jacob sighed, a hand instinctively running through his hair. "Yeah, okay," were the first words he managed to get out. "Well, jeez, is he doing okay? It can't be easy losing someone like that."

"He's not doing well, last time I heard," Queenie told him. "I don't think Tina is going about this the right way. She's trying to convince Newt that ______ didn't exist, she thinks that it would hurt less than the truth. I can understand that, but I really do think that he deserves to know the truth. No one wants to see their loved one like that, and Newt wouldn't take it well, but at least he would know the truth."

Jacob nodded. "When I couldn't remember you, it was horrible. I felt like there was something missing in my life, but I couldn't place it. I think that she should tell him the truth."

Queenie gave him a reassuring smile. "Don't worry honey, I'm not going anywhere ever again. You're stuck with me," she teased him.

"What a wonderful person to be stuck with," Jacob smiled at her and leaned in, giving her a kiss. It was just then that a customer walked in, and started looking around. Queenie, knowing she wasn't allowed to be back there since she wasn't an employee, was going to do her usual: hide in the backroom until she heard them leave.

But something felt strange as she walked back there this time. There was a cold and gloomy feeling that washed over her, but as she looked over at the customer, she didn't see anything inherently wrong. However, the second she tried getting into his mind, something strange happened.

She was blocked by him, and he made direct eye contact with her, and she got a chill down her spine. It was as if he could look right through her and knew exactly who she was. "I'll be in the back..." she whispered quietly to Jacob, and she hid in the backroom, but peaked over the counter to watch what was happening. She didn't trust that man at all.

As he walked around the shop, Jacob got a good look at the man. He was tall, dark hair, and a distinct scar across his face. As the man looked over at him, his eyes seemed to read Jacob right away and inspect him, and it made him uncomfortable. Finally, the man spoke. "Interesting pastries you have for sale," he said bluntly.

"You think?" Jacob asked, attempting to relieve tension. "Well, get them while they're fresh today, because these designs are going to be put on hold after today."

"Oh?" the man asked, looking over at him. "Why's that?"

Jacob shrugged. "I have a new idea, and I want to make something different. Nothing too special." He broke into a light sweat, hoping it wasn't noticeable. He started to feel the cold and gloomy atmosphere, as if it was following the man around.

The man walked around with a break-basket, carefully picking out some beast-shaped pastries and putting them in the basket. He only picked out the ones shaped like beasts, which put Jacob on a slight edge. Finally, he walked up to the counter and started to pay. He used a form of currency Jacob hated processing: a Charga-Plate. It was a small hassle, and really wished the man would've stuck to cash so he would leave sooner.

As Jacob was finalizing the transaction, the man spoke. "Tell me, where do you get the ideas for these... pastries?" he looked towards the bread basket.

"Oh, you know..." Jacob trailed off. "They just come to me. In dreams, while imagining and brainstorming, things like that. Nothing special."

"Well, you might just brainstorm one more beast to the collection," the man said. Taking the bread basket and walking away, something happened that was so sudden Queenie almost didn't react to it.

As the man opened the door to leave, a dementor flew inside and started attacking Jacob. This is what Jacob had felt earlier – the gloom and draining, but it was more intense now. However, he couldn't see what was attacking him as he felt something hit him and he fell to the floor, unable to move.

"Jacob!" Queenie shoted, pulling out her wand and coming out of the back. She pointed her wand at the dementor, and tried thinking of a happy memory despite the gloom in the room that the dementor was causing. "Expecto Patronum!" she yelled.

A silver mist shot out of her wand and at the dementor, and it flew away. She didn't need to cast a full patronus to get it away, and the second it was off of Jacob, she kneeled next to him. "Jacob! Are you alright?" she asked, holding his face in her hands and looking down at him with a worried expression.

"I'm alright... I think," Jacob slowly replied, sitting up. "What happened?"

"The worst case scenario," Queenie said, tears beginning to gather in her eyes. She leaned over and hugged Jacob, and he hugged her back. As soon as he did, she let herself cry, sobbing on his shoulder.

"Hey, hey," Jacob began to sooth her. "It's alright, I'm okay, you're okay, it's going to be alright." He pulled out of the hug and looked her in the face. "You know you're beautiful even when you cry, right?"

Queenie laughed a little through her tears. "Don't leave my side, okay? I think it's about time I get Tina involved. She needs to know about this."

Queenie stood up, soon followed by Jacob. He looked at her, shocked at her sudden decision. "Right now?" he asked.

"I don't want to wait another minute, I can't stand the thought of that happening again, and now I can't imagine what Newt is going through." She held out her arm. "You're coming with."

"I am?" Jacob asked, worried about what might happen. "I... I have to close up the shop."

Queenie pointed her wand at the sign at the door and it flipped to show "CLOSED" on the outside. "You can do the rest later; we need to go now."

Jacob took a deep breath and held Queenie's arm. With a flick of her wand, they disappeared out of the shop.