24

______'s entire body froze as some of the pain began to subside. She looked at Maverick like he had lost his mind before beginning to speak. "Have you gone entirely mad?" she asked. "There's no way I'd ever do that."

Maverick turned away from her before speaking, not wanting to even bother talking about this. "I need you to. It's very important."

"Why would I ever lie to him like that?" She got to her feet and fought the temptation to just kick him in the crotch and make a run for it. "I love him, and he loves me. It's such an obvious lie, and besides, I would never do that to him."

"Do you even care about your own well-being, or about his?" Maverick turned around, towering over her. "You need to do it, or would you rather me just kill him?"

______ shook her head. "This doesn't make any sense. What does it matter to you? If you wanted Newt dead, he'd be dead already and so would I. Or, rather, I'd just end up with Apathy Syndrome. So why do you need me to do this?"

"What, do you think I'm stupid?" Maverick laughed in her face. "I'm not going to tell you my plans. That would be idiotic."

"Then I'm not doing anything." ______ turned away from him, crossing her arms.

Maverick sighed, it was like he was dealing with a five-year-old. In his head, he was thinking about anything he could tell her without revealing too much. Add a little lie there, tell the truth here, it's not like she'll know the difference. Besides, what difference can one Muggle make? Slowly, he made up his mind of what he'd tell her. "Fine. You really want to know?"

She didn't turn her body towards him, but her head began to turn back. "What, you're actually going to tell me?"

"I need you to do this, so I guess I have no choice." Maverick paused for a minute, reevaluating what he was going to say. "I don't need you to just break Newt's heart, I need you to break his spirit. I need him to feel so horrible that he doesn't want to do anything. To distract him with so much pain and grief he won't think about even leaving a bed for days."

______ turned to Maverick with an angry expression. "You're sick. Why would you ever want to do that?"

"He's..." Maverick trailed off. A scapegoat, but I can't tell her that. "He needs to pay for what he took from me. My eye, a good chunk of my health and money. You wouldn't believe the care I had to go through after his little swooping evil did a number on me."

"Oh, I feel so bad for you," ______ replied sarcastically. "You had tried killing me and him that night. You made him give me a potion that ruined our first kiss because I was out of my mind on it, so I didn't get to have a real conversation about my feelings for the first time. They were forced out of me. You deserve what happened to you."

Maverick wasn't happy with her reply and shoved her off the bed and onto the ground, taking her by surprise. "You know, I wanted to do this the easy way, but you're just not making it easy are you?" ______ flinched when he pointed his wand at her, but surprisingly, no pain followed. At least, not physical pain.

______ spoke up in the silence. "I won't do it. You can't make me."

Maverick smiled. He so easily could. "If you don't, I'll take that precious case with all of those beasts you seem to care about so much and burn it to a crisp."

That's when ______'s brave face fell. "No, you can't."

"I will."

______ couldn't even contemplate it. There was no way that she was going to let all those beasts die, along with years of Newt's work. Those were his babies. She'd rather lie to him than condemn all of his beasts to death. "I'll do it, I'll do it," she told Maverick, standing up.

Maverick smiled. "I knew you would," he turned to leave the room, and then stopped. "I know they're on their way here. We're moving to a new location, somewhere... you knew quite well about a year ago. One last thing..."

______ already felt bad enough as it is about lying to Newt. "What could you possibly do to make this worse?" she asked Maverick in a near-whisper.

Maverick looked her right in the eye with a sinister grin. "You have to tell him that you love me."

--

A little short, a little cliffhanger. If you guys want even more Newt content, I posted a 7,000 word one-shot Newt x Reader in my Love Me Dead story, go give that a read for some more Newt content!

- J.