26

Maverick expected Newt's spirit to be broken, but instead, the opposite happened. Newt stood up from the bed and wiped his face, some sobs being forced back down. It couldn't be true, Maverick was obviously setting her up. He didn't know how, but he knew it couldn't be true. After everything that he did to her, after everything that happened, there's no possibility. "We have to find her."

Tina hesitated for a moment. "Newt, what happened?" she asked. She didn't hear a word besides coming in, seeing Newt falling apart and seeing ______ disappear.

Queenie intended to listen to what ______ told her. "Guys, lets get out of here and go back to Dumbledore and Jacob. They deserve to know that Maverick isn't here anymore, we need to make a new plan."

Newt had a determined look in his eye. "Once I find Maverick, I'm going to give him what he deserves," his voice was wobbly still. His confidence was destroyed, but he had never been angrier in his life.

"Come on, let's get out of here," Tina took his arm gently, trying to usher him out of the house. Newt stood still for a moment, his brain still trying to process what happened. He was dizzy, he was angry, and he wouldn't give in until he found Maverick once and for all.

Newt followed them out of the house, and once they were out, Queenie knew it was her time. She looked over at Newt. He was so easy to read right now, but she didn't need to read him to know what he was thinking. "Newt, there's something you need to know," she told him.

Before she could expand, Dumbledore and Jacob came up, confused on what happened. "Where's ______?" Jacob asked, looking at the three solemn faces of Newt, Tina and Queenie.

"Maverick did something to her, and once I find him..." Newt trailed off and balled his fists. No one had ever seen him like this, even Dumbledore was surprised by his behavior.

"There's something you need to know!" Queenie blurted out, getting everyone's attention. "Look, Newt, I have no idea what happened in that room but when Tina and I walked in, I couldn't help but read ______'s mind."

Newt's head perked up, Queenie's statement hitting him with hope. "What is it?"

"She knew I was reading her, so she gave me a message, but she said we had to be out and away from the house before I gave it to you. She said she didn't mean a word of it, but if she didn't tell you what she did, Maverick would've killed both her and your beasts."

Newt sighed, but also there was a tight feeling in his chest. Of course Maverick had access to his case. Fear returned in him, hoping that ______ was okay. Tina spoke up. "Did she happen to mention where she and Maverick were, or any of his plans?"

Queenie shook her head. "She didn't know anything specific, just a cryptic hint that Maverick gave her. Something about the next place being 'somewhere she knew well,' but I have no idea where that could be, and neither did she."

Newt thought for a moment. There were only two places that came to mind when Queenie said that: ______'s old apartment, and her old workplace at the factory.

While Newt was thinking, Tina started to theorize. "Well, let's think about it, Maverick needs to have a place to hide all these dementors, right? If they were just crawling around New York, I'm sure a lot more wizards would've noticed them by now."

"So, somewhere she knew well that would also be good place to hide a lot of dementors..." Dumbledore trailed off and looked at Newt. "You're the only person who knew her then, Newt. Any ideas on what that could be?"

Newt knew what it was. "She worked at a factory when she lived here, one that made clothing, and she hated it. How would Maverick have hidden dementors there? That place is crawling with people, someone would've noticed the pattern of specifically factory workers being targeted the most."

"The old clothing factory on 67th street?" Jacob asked. "That thing closed a long time ago, their safety procedures were worse than anyone knew. It was an old place next to the canning factory I used to work at."

"That would be the perfect place to hide. Somewhere no one wants to go into," Tina connected the dots. "He has to be there. Should we head over?"

Newt was ready to go, anxious to finally get to the bottom of this. "We've wasted enough time already, let's go," he said, and pulled out his wand, ready to head back to the main land.

—-

I'm sorry that these chapters have been quite brief lately, but I assure you, it's all leading up to a large finale.
You're almost at the end.
Hint: the final chapter will be chapter 30
Thank you all for being patient with me.
- Jay