Chapter 16: The Abyssal Butterfly who Fell

"With pleasure..." Izanami answered, "The story goes some hundred years back when Ignia was visiting the Abyssal as an ambassador for her Lord from Heaven. Well, she supposed to meet up with my husband Izanagi here in this castle, but I was the one who has to pick her up in a town further south. I mean, it was a pain and I didn't have the time for such trivial thing, and I got something better to do at home rather than escorting her."

"Something better to do at home?" I asked curiously.

"Yes, Mason. Cooking, tending for my summoning spirits, and practicing illusion magic." She happily announced like it the proudest thing she ever done.

"Eh? That was not even that important!" Both Masami and Ignia were surprised simultaneously.

I ignored the bunch of nuisance remarked and curiosity win over me, "Mind if I ask you why your husband doesn't send somebody else? I mean a runner or messenger would be more effective, right?"

"You could say that. Even I asked him that very same question, but he said it will create a friendlier atmosphere and a good first impression to have one of the royal family member to pick her up. So, I obeyed and went but still held that frustrated feeling inside me because of the that heaven ambassador that she had to mess my schedule up. I even planned to have a tea party with one of the most renown spirit tamer in the land. Hah, what in the past can't be taken back, and that was the reason why I tried to play trick on the ambassador as soon as I met her. I'll make the next part short...

"The meeting went smoothly but I got a planned to humiliate her, so I escorted her around the town and learn more things about her personality. In the end, she was an open book so I can drugged or intoxicated her easily. With her out of the way and using my illusion magic, I pretended to be her and make bunch of wild and funny stuff while I was visiting and checking on Izanagi without him knowing that it was the real Ignia. The result, you could have said Ignia got what she deserved from the Lord and his scolding."

Izanami smirked after telling us the eventful story of her, "No wonder why now she is in a position of taking care of the people who had been deceased."

I looked at Ignia, and it seem like she shaking in rage mode... Ooh, it was bad. I thought she was going to break anytime soon. Just like last time when I almost killed her in Axel. Ignia slowly found the courage and words to speak, "I – I – I had no idea why you could... get away with that, because of you, my status fall like a rock since then."

I walked up to Ignia, "Are you alright?"

"No, of course not Mason! I want to humiliate her for what she did to me!"

"Calm the fuck down okay?!" I shouted at her, and much to my surprise, she was dead serious of not getting out of control again, "Do you have any idea how to do so? Why are you even letting something as a demotion and humiliation get to you?"

"You don't get it! You are just a mere human!"

I would really wanted to smack her right there and then just to calm her down, but I managed to refrain myself from doing so. By performing it, not only I caused the huge anger swelling up inside to go up even further, I might triggered her not to perceived me as an ally anymore. In a more easier term to explain, she would ignored any consult coming from my mouth.

"How so? Humiliation and demotion always the usual thing in my service, and we got to live with it by heart and get used to it. You can't throw away what imprinted inside your head, but I'm sure damn well you can learn to live with it!"

"Ooh, that's a nice pep talk," the foxgirl spoke up, "Same thing goes for me too. Killing a living being wasn't in my blood, but I managed to cope with it."