Chepter 2: In The Feild

Marcus rhymes off a list of things I should do and not do as the school becomes insight.
"Do, act cool. Do not, act not-cool."
I roll my eyes at him as we walk into the parking lot. There are tons of people here. Getting out of cars. Just coming from walking. From busses. Suddenly, I stop.

"I can't do this." I say softly. Marcus swiftly turns around.
"What?"
"I said, I can't do this!" I say a little louder. He rolls his eyes.
"Don't be a baby."
"I-I...think I'll go back home." His shoulders slump and he turns around. With a sincere expression, he asks:
"Look, aren't you tired of living in a basement for sixteen years?"
I can't find the words, but I somehow force it out of me.
"I-I-I...guess so."
"Come on!" He grins at me. Not in a smug way. Not in a sarcastic way. Just a friendly smile.
"Look, there are so many pros here! Learn new things. Go to lunch with your friends. You'll fit right in."
I beam back at him. That was officially the nicest thing he's ever said to me.
"Thanks." Then, he resumes to going back to his sarcastic, smug self.
"Yeah. But," Then a sense of playfulness returns. "Don't expect to get a boyfriend."
"Oh?" I ask, raising my eyebrows and nudging him.
"Do you have a girlfriend?" He shrugs looking straight ahed.
"I have...an imaginary one." I laugh, completely forgetting how nervous I was. For the first time in my life, I'm glad to have my brother around.

Marcus taps me on the shoulder and points in front of us.
"That's them. Our targets." They're far away and I can't make them out very well from here. But, I can tell there are three boys and one girl. I kind of feel bad for her.
"You see the short one?"
"Which short one?" I ask, trying to look where he's pointing.
"The short short one."
"They're both short short ones!" He flicks me above the ear.
"The...here I'll show you." He starts walking towards them.
Okay, I think. Remember what your to do. Gain their trust. Trap them. Get them to their rightful father.
I nod.
Step 1: Gain their trust.
" Let me introduce you and do most of the talking, okay?" I nod. He better do something right.
"Hey guys!" Marcus waves over and starts jogging towards them. Him and the tall one, Adam, 'bro-hug'. One of them, a darker skinned boy, steps in front.
"Guys!" He turns to our targets.
"Why don't you see? These are the faces of evil! Wait, why am I..." He runs to me.
"Who are you?" I'm about to answer, when Marcus does for me.
"Adam, Bree, Chase and Leo. This is my sister, Gwen." I smile and wave.
"I didn't know you had a sister." Leo says. They start into a conversation, but then I lock eyes with one of the boys. I think his name is, yes Chase. For some reason, my heart is pounding and I can't look away.

Then, he smiles at me. I feel a weird...sensation in my stomach. I feel suddenly embarrassed and feel the need to run away. All these feelings force me into a smile. So, there we are. Just standing there and smiling at each other. I feel my cheeks grow hot.

Someone waves their hand in front of my face and I shake my head.
"Um," Marcus coughs into his fist awkwardly.
"Well, Gwen. I'll show you to your locker."

••••

Marcus walks me to my first class, which is on language. The whole time, I sit there, doodling. But today, my paper is taken over by smiley faces and hearts of various shapes, colours and shading.
Suddenly, my journal is yanked out of my hands.
"Oh, I see we would prefer to doodle in our books then learn about Great Helen of Troy." I want to tell her it's unnecessary to get me to pay attention, since I already know everything. But, that was on Marcus' long list of 'don'ts'.
"Sorry Ma'am," I say, looking up at her.
She takes my book to her desk and continues her lesson.

Suddenly, a paper is put on my desk. I try to identify who sent it, but no one raises a head. Inside the desk, I quietly unfold the paper. It reads:

Hi,
-Chase

My heart starts to beat, hard and fast and my face warms up again. I see him, a the far, opposite side of the room. Only, he's not facing in my direction. I take out my pencil and write back,

Hi,
-Gwen
Will anyone look inside the note?

As quickly and stealthily as I can, I pass it back to the person who passed it to me. Our teacher's back is turned and she's writing something on the chalkboard.

A couple of minutes later, the paper is back on my desk. Anxiously, but avoiding crinkling, I unfold it and read it inside the desk. The note reads:

Possibly. I don't know a lot of people here, or trust them.

Yes, this would be a good time to try to gain his trust. I start off by writing:

Well, you can trust me;)
Let's, being you, your siblings, Marcus and I, sit together at lunch? We'll be able to get to know each other.

Then, I start passing it back. Another minute or so, and that beautiful lined paper is back on my desk. Same routine. I take a breath and read:

I know I can.
You sitting with us would be great, if you want to.
Ps: at any rate, who do you expect to read it anyway?

I'm about to reply, when someone clears their throat beside my desk. I turn to find Ms. Gibbs, the teacher, holding her hand out. I give the paper to her and look over to Chase, who's looking at me with a concerned expression. I mouth,
People like her.

[Thanks, please enjoy Chapter 3: Glitches and Dishes.]