Part 2: Chapter 15: A New Start

PART 2:

I have been living with the Davenport's for around a month now, and dad has not shown up. I have dip-dyed my hair light pink at the ends as a sign. For a new beginning. Stereotypical, I know. But I felt the need to do it. Besides, Mr. Davenport doesn't seem to mind.

It's a lot of fun, staying here. But at times, you can really feel excluded. Like today,

We were watching TV when Mr. Davenport ran upstairs.
"Guys!" He called. "Huge emergency! There's a..." Then, like he always does, looked at Marcus and me with a cautious look.
"A...ah, problem with the computer downstairs. You need to fix it."
"All three of you?" Marcus asked.
Mr. Davenport laughed nervously.
"It's a really big...computer." I tried to get in on it, so I offered to help, but I was shot down. By Chase, no less!
"We'll be right back, it'll be fine." He smiled and kissed me on the cheek. Now, as I'm recounting this, I'm blushing. I'm happy to say that Chase and I have grown...closer. I hope he asks me to be his girlfriend eventually. On second thought, maybe not. I don't want to explode of joy.
(Hey, glitches right? It could happen! It could!)

Anyway, now Mr. Davenport is trying to track down my dad. But for all we know, he could have left the country. I haven't told anyone, but secretly I'm really scared. He's been sending us really threatening text messages and letters. Well, recently he switched to letters. He probably didn't want to be tracked. And, I appreciated Chase hiding the letters from us, but I found out sooner or later. I wasn't mad, but Marcus was. I guess it's some kind of guy thing.

But really I'm astonished on how they've accepted us. What really burns me everyday is what I know dad will do when he finds us. Not only will he take us back, but he'll tell all the Davenports that we've been lying to them. We're supposed to destroy them and for all the know, we could still be working for them. Chase would never talk to me again. Oh, and the other Davenports too.

Someone knocks on my door.
"It's Bree!" She calls from outside. I call to her to come in and she sits down on my bed. She faces me with a very serious look.
"These last few weeks you've been acting...different." She says.
"How so?"
"Well...I can't exactly explain. But, something seems wrong. Do you need to talk about it?" I want to tell that I do, more than anything. I would talk to Marcus, but I don't know what he'd do. Probably make fun of me or something.

Dad would be right. All I do is lie to them. In fact, I have to lie right now.
Or, maybe I can tell some of the truth.
"I guess I've just been concerned. About my dad swearing vengeance on me and Marcus." She nods sympathetically.
"I can't imagine what it would be like. To be you."
"I'm sure you can't," I mutter under my breath.
"Sorry, I don't catch tha-"
"Nothing!" I say quickly. "Nothing."

I can't believe it. I used to despise this family. But, now I'm part of it. I guess you could say I'm working with the enemy.

[Thanks for looking at part 2! Please stay tuned for Chapter 16! Oh, and please read my other book: If Only It Were This Simple. It's a little bit more mature. Just sayin'. 😋]