Chapter 18: Tag Along

I wait a few hours and when I know everyone's asleep, I sneak outside my door. I look down the hallway. Chase, Bree and Adam sleep in they're lab/basement, so I probably don't have to worry about them. Just Marcus, Mr. and Mrs. Davenport. Along the hall, I stick to the wall. Carefully walking across the tiles closely connected to it. I remember reading that if you do this, you make less noise. I'm not sure if that's true, but it works for me.

I'm at the stairs and I take one last look around. I've dressed in sweatpants and a black t-shirt. Quietly, I creep downstairs, cringing with each step I make.

I'm finally on the bottom floor and I take one last look around. Taking a deep breath, I reach out to open the front door. My hand is on the knob, when I quickly pull away. How stupid that would have been! They have a security system. I look to the screen where Eddy is. But then I realize that I don't know how to turn him on. I try lightly tapping the screen and whispering his name, but nothing happens.

I roll my eyes. Just great. I have to get into the lab to turn it off manually. I'm about to turn around, when I hear a voice ask,

"Uh, what do you think your doing?" I freeze and turn around to see Bree standing there in her PJ's.

"Oh, Bree. I didn't see you there." I laugh nervously, honestly wondering how long she was standing there for.

"Maybe. But, it looks like I'm seeing you sneaking out. Where are you planning on going, Gwen?"

I'm glad that she didn't use past tense.

I figure that there's no point of lying, so I just come out.

"Look Bree. Everyone's saying that they're concerned about me and trash. And it's nice of you guys to care so much. But, I have to get over my 'Paterphobia'." I explain, making air quotes.

"So," She starts tapping her foot. "I assume you know where he is?" I nod.

"I have a pretty good idea." She smiles and nods.

"Awesome! Let's go." I'm sorry, what did she say?

"Did you just say...LET'S? As in, we as in us?" She nods, regaining her serious look.

"Hey, I'm the only one who can disable the security. Plus, I need to keep you from harm." I know that there's no point in arguing, so I sigh.

"Alright."

"You didn't really have a choice."

••••

Bree showed me her dad's latest invention, the Daventeleport(er). (Really, that's how it's spelled.) So, now we're back at my house.

It's hard to see it like this, all burned down. I remember in the kitchen, where I got to go into the field with Marcus. I remember the backyard, and the living room where Marcus and I would always have some kind of weird psychiatrist session everyday. Bree puts her hand on my shoulder.

"We should keep moving." She says solemnly.

••••

We walk into the house, or what's left of it.

"Are you sure your dad would be hiding here?" She asks. Bree had changed into the same kind of outfit I'm wearing.

"No, not necessarily in the house." She gives me a confused look as I lead her into the hidden stairway which leads to the Lab.

I was right. I can hear him downstairs. Working on something...

[A/N: Hi! So happy that your reading! Thanks so much!!!! Be ready for the next chapter! ;)]