Chapter 4: The Truth

My eyes flash open and I wake up, taking in a long, deep breath of air. I look around and and wonder how long I'd been out for. A day? Two? Three?

I reach up to the sides of my head. Both of my ears are back into place. Father must have finished the operation.

I sit up, on the flat table just as Father runs downstairs.

"Ah, your awake." He walks beside my table. "The surgery is done. Not to mention that school starts in about an hour." I thank him, and I'm about to hop off when he stops me.

"Marcus tells me that you triggered Chase's "Commando App"." He says, writing something done on a console.

"Well, not really," I blush. I feel so proud. Maybe father should have put me into the field when he did with Marcus. He opens a file cabinet and takes out a handful. He takes one, and rests the others on the end of my table.

He laughs.

"Don't be so modest. Even though he tried to go against you, Leo Dooley worked to our advantage." I frown.

"He did?"

"Absolutely. Him saying all those things about you really got Chase mad. Thereby triggering the app." I nod. That makes a lot of sense. Wait, but if Chase got mad because Leo was saying those negative things about me...

A crazy idea makes me practically burst with joy. Is it possible that...I'm not even going to think it. I don't want to jinx it.

"You know," He says, slipping into his rambles. "It was my idea for Commando App. But, I bet Donald is taking all the credit!" As he goes on, I take a look at the document on top of the rest. It's labelled:

'Project: Six Million Dollar Girl'

What can that mean? I look at the paper. Apparently, this is a paper from the CIA. It talks about building a bionic girl. I wonder if they ever finished building her.

Suddenly, the document is yanked from my hands, just as my journal was by Ms. Gibbs in English. He laughs nervously.

"Sorry Gwen, I've...got to study this." He goes upstairs, taking the document with him. Okay, so it's not vital information. I'd like to know, but it doesn't sound like a big deal.

••••

At school, the next morning, I'm at my locker when some kind of force shoves me into the wall. Chase stumbles backwards and as soon as I realize it's him, I'm overwhelmed and my heart starts beating quickly.

"Oh, um...hi." He points to Bree, from far behind him. "I was shoved." I look over at her, and see her smiling innocently. I smile back and roll my eyes at her.

"U-uh..." Stop stuttering! "Hi Chase!" Ugh, that came out way to bubbly. Is it too late to change it?

"I mean, hey Chase. What goes on?" That should be good for now.

"Hi Gwen. I...um, you were sick for a couple of days, weren't you?"

"I was?" I ask. Looking at him, I can't remember anything.

"Y-yeah. Your, um, ears or something?" With my free hand, I touch my right ear.

"Oh, right. Yes I was."

"Are you...okay?" I nod.

"I'm alright."

"So...hey!" I give him a weird look.

"Hi." I walk back to my locker, and Chase is standing beside me.

"I was..." He pauses and continues. "Wondering if you would, maybe like to, um...study. Together. Sometime?" Everything stops. I'm so paralyzed, that I'm frozen and can't move. Did he just...just...