Chapter 14: Finally Safe

I sit on the couch of Mr. Davenport's house, as Mrs. Davenport makes us hot chocolate.

"What happened?" Bree asks us. I try to recover from my sob that I had in the car.

"H-house. Fire." I cough. Marcus nods.

"Our dad started it. On purpose." I nod as Tasha comes and delivers the hot chocolate with little marshmallows. The whole gang is here: Chase, Adam, Bree, Mrs. Davenport and Mr. Davenport. I stare at the mug she offers me.

"I don't want any." I say, shivering.

"Drink it." Chase says. "You'll feel better." I look over at him and accept the hot drink. I take small sips of it, but I still feel empty inside. Everything happened so fast. Dad betraying us like that. The house becoming engulfed in fire. I sigh.

"The police are there now." Mr. Davenport says, hanging up the phone.

"Your father escaped." Marcus snarls and curses.

"He'll be after us." I hang my head and stare at the floor.

"Don't worry," Mrs. Davenport smiles as Mr. Davenport nods.

"Exactly. You two can stay here until this whole deal is sorted out." I shake my head.

"We can't. Your security can't keep our father out."

"Yeah," Bree stands up. "But where would you go?" Adam joins her.

"She's right. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but the streets aren't a good place to be. Unless you like random signs planted into the ground 'cause those are everywhere." Everyone looks to Adam, with weird looks. I'm glad that I'm not the centre of attention anymore. But of course, everyone turns back to me.

Chase stands up.

"Well, Marcus and Gwen, I'll show you to your rooms. We have like, a million guest rooms." We follow him upstairs. Mine and Marcus' rooms are beside each other. Marcus walks into his room leaving me and Chase in the hall.

"Hey," He says, pushing his hands into his pockets. "I just wanted to let you know that your safe here." I nod. That's nice to know, even though it's not the truth.

"Thanks," I reply.

"But," He grins. "Look on the bright side! You don't live with your father anymore." I shake my head and look at him.

"No, you don't get it! My dad will get us back. And when he does, life will become even worse than it was before! We'll probably be lucky if we even get fed. You know, I used trust think that he was a good man, just going through some control-freak-mental-problems. But, now I know he's just insane." He nods and smiles.

"Don't worry. I swear. I'll protect you."

••••

I try to cry. I should be crying. But, for some reason, I'm not. Instead of feeling sad and sorry for myself, I feel almost outraged. I tried liking my dad. And, I tried thinking that his intentions were good. But, no. I can't believe he's done this to me.

But no. I'm going to suck it up right now. I'm going to hit him with everything I've got. I'm sure the others will help. I'm to do something rebellious. I'm going to be a lot more tough. I'm not going to let my dad touch me, or hurt me, or tell me what to do, ever again.