Chapter 25: Enslaved

We haven't talked about it, much. Chase knows about me and Marcus. That's for sure. Sadly, I always feel really awkward around him now, which really isn't helping our 'relationship'.

It's so weird. We went from note passing in English class to living together, with the others of course. I knew that I really should try to not let people too close. But, now that I can, I still seem to be living by that rule. I guess it's kind of sad. So, tonight since everyone else is out at a school play, I'm going to talk to Chase about it. It's probably a bad idea, but he already knows my worst secret so I probably won't have a problem.

He's in the kitchen microwaving lasagne that Tasha left for us.

"Hi Chase," I greet nervously, walking into the kitchen.

"Hey, Gwen." He smiles, then takes the lasagne out of the microwave. Personally, I've never been a big fan of lasagne. But, I don't want to look like a jerk, so I take out two plates and set them on the counter.

"So, uh..." I say, taking out two forks as he scoops out two pieces onto the plates.

"Yeah?" He asks, taking them to the table as we sit down.

"I've been meaning to ask you about the, my, uh, secret." His expression darkens as he begins to eat.

"Right." I'm about to answer, when he continues.

"You should have told me Marcus was bionic a long time ago."

My heart starts racing. Wait, he only knows that Marcus is bionic, not me! So, that means that he doesn't hate me as much! That's also bad...because when he finds out, he's going to hate me even more. Avril Lavigne said it: 'Why do you have to go and make things so complicated?'

"Um...I know." I shift around uncomfortably, not sure what to say.

"I told you that I'm sorry." He smiles at me, and I know truly that he forgives me. For now.

"I know! I forgive you, really. I just feel bad for not believing Leo." I nod.

"I know how he feels. Alone, and like no one will listen to him." He looks up at me and gives me a confused look.

"Forgive my prying, but how would you know how that feels?" I laugh sadly and scoop up some lasagne onto my fork.

"Let's just say that Marcus and my dad had a somewhat well bonded relationship, and they liked to exclude me." He frowns, starring at his food as if it's a bunch of cooked cow tongues. (They sell those, you know!)

"I can't relate."

"I can't expect you to."

"How do you mean?" I gesture around his entry way.

"You have the best life ever. Your rich, your dad actually likes you, your handsome-" I quickly bite my tongue as he raises an eyebrow at me.

"Handsome?" He asks, taking my plate away. He must have realized that I didn't really want it.

"Um, no." I say standing up, in case I have to make a hasty retreat.

"I said...hand some. As in, I'd like some more lasagne." He walks up, and I realize that he's only slightly taller than me.

"Well, I think your very beautiful." He says chuckling. I frown and slowly look behind me. That's weird, there's no one else. I look back at him and point to myself.

"M-me?"

"Is there anyone else?"

"T-there's the-a...dog."

"We don't have a dog."

"Well, there's the cat." He smirks at me.

Suddenly, the door swings open and me and Chase quickly back away from each other.

"Leo!" I exclaim, running up to him. I'm a couple steps away from Leo, when Chase cries:

"NO! Gwen! DON'T!" But, it's too late. He swings his arm at me and I crash through the window, blacking out.

••••

My eyes flash open as freezing water is splashed onto my face. I turn over, coughing as I hear a menacing voice say,

"Thank you, Bree. Well, up and at 'em!" I look up at see Douglas crouching before me.

"Hello Gwen! Sleep well?" I sit up. My head is cold and my eyes are stinging from the water.

"W-where am I?" I ask.

"Your in my new lab. Kids, why don't you come say hello?" In a line, Adam Bree and Chase walk up behind Douglas in perfect order. There's only one thing wrong, they're eyes are glowing and they're moves are so robotic and stiff.

"What did you DO TO THEM?" I exclaim. Bree walks over like a robot and pours more water onto me, my whole body becoming cold and pelted with ice.

"Do not talk to my father in that tone." She says and rejoins the line. Douglas shrugs.

"I made some improvements. Welcome to the base of operations. What we'll use as we take over the world."