Empty Phone

Thomas and Walker stayed almost all night. I could tell they wanted too at least. They were on my bed until around five or six. Which in this town means that it's already a pitch black night outside. Thomas was laying down on my bed and looked like he might fall asleep. While Walker and I took photos together on my phone. Some of Thomas half asleep and others of us. We were having a good night until Thomas's phone started ringing. He woke up and answered the call. "... I don't want to leave yet. Ya but I want to stay. Whatever! What the fu-" Thomas started to get mad. He was clutching into my fluffy blue blanket with his fist. His face was pretty scary too. Walker noticed and stole the phone before Thomas could say the f word. "We'll be there as soon as possible." Walker spoke quickly. Walker listened to the caller for a while. Thomas crossed his arms and looked angry at a wall away from Walker. "Okay. I love-" Walker's face turned glum. Apparently the person had hung up before he could say he loved them. Which is kind of sad. It was even sadder because it was clearly his parents. Thomas forcefully grabbed the phone from Walker's hand. "Let's go," Walker mumbled dejectedly. Thomas sighed and then got up. I stood up as well. Thomas gave me a big hug. His arms were wrapped tightly around my upper arms so I could lift my arms up and hug back. I laughed and tapped his hip to tell him that's enough. "Bye Thomas," his chin tapped against my shoulder as he nodded. He let go and held Walker's hand. In Walker's other hand he held Thomas's phone. They waved and left. Thomas closed the door. More like slammed. A picture on my wall was tilted a little because of the vibration from the door to the wall. I fixed it. I could hear the boys saying their goodbyes to my mom. I smiled. After straightening out the frame I sat back down on my bed. Just then, the guys walked pass my window. I could over hear their conversation as they walked to Thomas's car. "You know I'm the one that talks to her. Not you. She doesn't even love you," Thomas said. "I- um... I know." Walker replied. He sounded like he was choking. Like he was about to cry. "Let's move quickly so Mom and Dad don't have to worry." Walker said sympathetically. Mom and Dad? That's when I realised they were probably brothers. Which explained a lot. Except for why Walker took the bus when his brother had his own car and why they didn't look at all alike. Maybe one of them was adopted. I shrugged it off and laid down. I sighed and stretched out on the bed. I raised my hands above my head and kicked my feet out to the end of the bed. My foot then kicked off something. It landed with a thud. I sat up again and looked to see what it was. My phone. I cringed and hoped it wasn't broken. I carefully picked it up and looked at the screen. It was fine. I laid back down and turned on the phone. The background picture was of Thomas and Walker with a few hearts on the corner of the picture. It was cute but it wasn't my background. My phone background was of (Your Favourite Meme). I knew it wasn't Thomas's since I saw Walker holding it as he left. It quickly donned on me it was Walker's. How convenient that we have the same kind of phone with no case. I thought about calling Thomas on the phone since it didn't have a passcode. But then I felt like snooping around on Walker's phone. I thought it would be funny and Walker was asking for it by having no code. I giggled as I glared at all the apps. I went to photos first. There went that many pictures. I started at the oldest photos because that's where the embarrassing pictures are. The first few were of him and Ava doing romantic stuff like taking selfies together. There were some really old ones of Walker with different kids that were all different ages. Later photos were of just Thomas. Then selfies with Thomas and some rare ones with Ava. And then finally just Walker and Thomas. The last photos were startlingly though. They were screenshots of my social medias. My Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and etc. I felt chills go up my spine. As if a ghost has dragged a long fingernail up the middle of my back. I took a deep breath and then looked through his social media apps. They were boring though. He seemed to rarely use them. I moved onto the text messages next. His only contacts were Mom, Dad, Thomas, Ava, and a few names I didn't recognise. For fun I added my number. The first connect was his Mom. I scrolled through some of them a came across some interesting ones.

Walker: Hey Mom! Did you forget it was my birthday or are you planning a surprise?
Mom: Oh I'm sorry I was busy with the kids as usually you understand
Walker: It's okay Mom. I love you.

That was from a year ago. She didn't reply after that one. She never seems to tell him she loves him and neither does his dad. And they always seems busy with these 'kids'. Poor Walker.

Mom: We have a new kid coming today.
Walker: Thanks for telling me. I love you.

That one was from almost six months ago. After I got bored of his parents' texts I moved to Thomas's text.

Thomas: Saw you looking at me at school. You got a problem?
Walker: no I'm sorry. How did you get my number?
Thomas: I have my ways. Meet me before school by the fountain tomorrow. I want to talk.

That one was from about seven months ago. I skip ahead a few months.

Thomas: did you find her?
Walker: I think so...

Walker then sent a screenshot of my Facebook profile. I started to get the chills again and I quickly left Thomas's messages. To get my mind of things I went to Ava's text. But it was just boring. Them flirting a lot and then changing to her begging him to talk to her again. That was just typical Ava. The the phone buzzed in my hand and made a little tweet sound. The notification came down and said Walker had a new message from Thomas. I nervously left Ava's messages and went to the new text.

Thomas: (Name) I know you have Walker's phone. Stop looking around for shit just because there's no code. Leave his phone alone.

I started to really freak out. He knew! Of course he did. And he even knew I was snooping or at least implied it. I jumped as Mom opened my door. "So those boys were cute! Do you like them?" Mom always tried to make up that every boy had a crush on me or I on them. "No mom." I sighed. "Suuuure," she laughed at me. "Here, I brought you some pie to make up for not picking you up." she handed me a plate of pie that she had most likely bought from Walmart. "Thank you," I grinned and took a bite. "Night (Name)." She said about to close the door. I suddenly remember how Walker never gets to say I love you or gets to hear it back. "I love you mom," I said quickly before she left. She smiled again. "I love you too," she closed the door. I finished my pie and then turned off the lights. It took a long time but I eventually fell asleep.

My phone alarm woke me up in the morning as usual. I found that Walker's phone was in my hand when I woke up. I packed it into my backpack to give it back to him today. I did my morning routine and got on the bus. I glanced around the bus for Jack but didn't see him anywhere. As I was walking towards the back seats I felt a hand grab me. I jumped and turned to see who it was fearfully. It was Ava. I smiled happily and sat with her. "Thank God it's you," I took several breathes in and out to calm down. "Aw! Thank you! Anyway, who do you want to go to the dance with? I was think either Mark or Sean... Maybe Felix!" Ava rambled. "Dance?" I hadn't heard anything about it. Ava nodded quickly. "Ya there's this big dance coming up in like... Next Friday. I'm one of the people that helps set up the party decorations after school. You can come if you want to!" Ava explained. I thought about it for a second and the only person I could imagine going to the dance with was Walker. Especially after that Just Dance moment we had the other day. Even if some of his phone was filled with some pretty creepy shit I still had a little thing for him. Ava continued to talk while I was busy thinking. Suddenly a hand touched my shoulder. "Hey (Name)! I was siting in the back of the bus and didn't recognise you from behind." Thomas smiled eireely. I stopped breathing. "Oh Thomas-" "For once can you shut the fuck up Ava and go sit with your bitchy prep friends?" Thomas interpreted Ava. I almost wanted to protest but I couldn't do it. Ava pouted as she got up, scooted pass me, and then sat with her other friends. Thomas shoved me towards the window and then took the place I was sitting at. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders. "Where's Walker?" I said almost breathless. "He's... Sick." Thomas obviously lied. He brought his lips close to my ear. "Give me the phone," he whispered directly into my ear. I slowly and shakily took the phone from my backpack and handed it over. Thomas placed it into his pocket and smirked. "You're so cute," he laughed and poked my nose. I knew that it was going to be a weird day after that.