Chapter 36- Jeff, Gen and the Hospital

Jeff~

“Damn it. I should have bloody been more careful!” He cursed, covering his face with his freezing cold hands. The hospital was literally Antarctica, minus the animals and plus the antiseptic smell. Ron leaned against the wall as Jeff sank onto a plastic chair. The wait was agonising and Ron had told him the bad news.

--------------------Backtracking 30 minutes ago-----------------------------

“What the heck!? You are a first-aider, Eve! Save her!” Jeff shrieked. Eve shrugged helplessly. “I only learned how to treat wounds, I didn’t expect someone to die! So I didn’t learn CPR…” Jeff groaned, how someone could be so foolish was a mystery.

But just then, Genevieve started breathing again, however she was still unconscious. She took small quick breaths, it was loud, like she was panting… or dying. “What do we do?” Jeff glared at Eve.

“I don’t know. That was a miracle, how could someone stop breathing for a while and continue afterwards?” Eve exclaimed as the sound of sirens filled the air, and paramedics came dashing out with a stretcher. They professionally lifted her up and into the back of the ambulance. Veronica had stayed with Eve to give a statement to the police while Ron and Jeff hurried into the red and white vehicle.

Jeff sat at the side and stared at the motionless Genevieve. Ron pat him on the shoulder as he gave a failed attempt of a reassuring smile. Jeff held on to Genevieve’s hand on the route to the hospital, they drove past many buildings at such fast speed that matched Jeff’s frantic mind. Paramedics hurried around, connecting tubes and hospital equipment to Genevieve’s frail body.

Jeff looked out of the window as rain started to pour down heavily, a raindrop could be measured as the size of one-eighth of a ping pong ball. It added to his mood. The vehicle slowed down gradually and the rain hit the top of the ambulance, causing a heavy sound. Under the cloudy night, cars turned their headlights on and slowed to a crawl outside the window.

“Bloody shit.” He cursed. The driver of the ambulance was shouting into his phone. Just then, Jeff noticed that there was a heart monitor beside Genevieve, and that the heart beat rate was getting weaker and weaker.

“Sir, the patient is in a dangerous situation. We need to get her to the hospital immediately.” One of the paramedics explained to the driver. “But the jam-” The driver stuttered. Jeff stood up, brushing imaginary dust of his pants.

“How far is the hospital from here?” Jeff asked, shooting them a sharp look.

“1 kilometre.” One of them replied fearfully. In a blink of an eye, Jeff carried Genevieve bridal style as Ron kicked open the backs doors and the rain started pouring in. “We will see you there.” Jeff said and hopped onto the road and ran in the rain. His clothes were drenched and blood was still seeping from the wound, filling his hands with it.

The weight of his clothes were slowing him down, so was the dead weight of Genevieve. He tried to shelter her from the cold. “Hang in there Gen.” He whispered as he ran across the highway, cars honked at him when they saw him running. What choice did he have, to watch Genevieve die before his eyes in the jam or at least try his best to get her to the hospital?

“Jeff!” Ron shouted from behind him. “Car!” He warned as a black coloured car drove in his direction at full speed. He made a dive and crossed the road, hugging Genevieve tightly like he was a shell protecting her. Then he stood up and continued running. Rainwater splashed under his feet, ruining his new pair of shoes. Jeff was panting heavily, but he continued, for Genevieve. A lump was caught in his throat, his heart was racing and his stomach clentched with fear. The worst feeling ever. When someone he cares about is on the brink on death, and you cannot save her. 

That feeling is literally worst than death. 

He dragged himself through the automatic doors and stood there trying to regain his breath. Hospital staff quickly took Genevieve on a stretcher and into an emergency ward. Ron left to the registration counter and Jeff collapsed onto a nearby chair, water dripping from his hair. Worry clouded his eyes.

“You ok? You really look like shit man.” Ron joked and Jeff forced a smile. Jeff got up to get a cup of coffee from the nearby vending machine and took a sip of the rich warm liquid. Ron sat down beside him and sighed. “Do you think she would be okay?” Jeff fretted. Ron shrugged.

“For the first time in my life, I feel afraid. It has been a long time I have given a shit about someone in this freaking world. But, if she’s gone, what will I do? I am scared Ron, when I do care about someone, the person will die or disappear. My parents, Jenny and now even Genevieve. Heck, I don’t know what to do now.” Jeff admitted.

“You know it isn’t your fault right?” Ron said, “Ms C told you beforehand.” He reminded.

“Oh.” He replied.

-----------------------------Current time-------------------------------

The doctor came out of the emergency room, and took out his gloves and mask.

“Ms Springfield took a heavy blow, and…” The doctor trailed off, unsure of what to say. Jeff’s eyes widened. “She is in a coma, the chances of waking up is 0.1%. And the chances of dying is 50.5%. We tried our best, I am sorry.” With that the doctor walked away as Jeff sank onto the floor.

Perhaps, that was the end.