| THE TIGER'S OMEGA | 19 |

| Kaleb

As always, nothing lasts forever and this perfect slice of bliss, like all things, came to an abrupt end. There as a fierce and urgent pounding out the door, jolting me out of my sleep. A flickering yellow orange light streamed in through the window, dimly illuminating the room. Fire. There were screams, of urgency and pain as well as the distinctive sound of fighting. My stomach dropped and Zev lept from the bed, nearly ripping the door off of it's hinges.

There stood Darren, completely disheleved. His shirt was torn with blood splatters all over it. He had a cut on his cheek that resembled more of a gash. "Kaleb's father is here, we have to get him out of here now!" He said.

My heart came to a skidding halt before plummeting into my stomach. I felt bile rise in the back of my throat as my skin broke into a cold sweat.

Zev all but roared as he whirled around and scooped me up from the bed. I was covered only in one of the spare shirts they'd given Zev. His scent was soaked into the material. Clutching me to his bare chest, he ran from the room, moving faster than what should be possible while carrying someone.

His thoughts were clouded and I couldn't tell exactly what he was thinking. What I could discern was that having me in his arms was the only thing keeping him from shifting. My heart was hammering as we descended the stairs, the fighting had grown louder.

At the bottom of the stairs was a pair of wolves were fighting, one was from the pack and the other was a rouge. They were snarling as their fists met each other, they were bloody but neither seemed to tire, the desire to end the other's life was clear in their eyes. My stomach rolled at the sight of all the violence. Darren roared, launching himself at the rogue and twisting his neck with a sickening pop. Then he grabbed the pack member by his shoulders. The man had sandy blond hair and interesting coal black eyes.

"Can you still fight, Jared?" The young Alpha yelled over the commotion. Jared nodded, his chest heaving. "Yes, Alpha." He responded a little breathlessly.

"Go help the pack mothers with their cubs, round up as many of the pack as you can." He ordered. "Go!" He yelled just as another rogue rushed in from the kitchen. Jared nodded and ran off. Zev's grip on me tightened, he was visibly shaking. His eyes were glowing emerald and his fangs had dropped, piercing his bottom lip.

Darren quickly ended the rogue and gave a swift nod to Zev before he kept moving. We ran past the fighting in the kitchen, where I saw one of our pack members stabbed to death. A shiver ran through me and my blood went cold. Before I knew it we were out the back door and in the crisp night air.

The tree line was just ahead of us, the now burning pack house was behind us. My heart was thundering in my chest as Darren and Zev made a mad dash for the trees.

If only it were that easy.

From the foliage stepped the one man I never thought I'd see again. Suddenly I was five again asking my mother where my father went and why he didn't want me. Hush baby, she cooed You are my special little pup. I could feel the ghost of her lips on my forehead and my vision blurred. He just didn't understand.

Darren and Zev skidded to halt. Zev released a snarl so fierce the multitude of wolves standing behind my father in their second form seemed to tremble. The man who had left me and my mother glared at Darren and my mate hatefully.

I got my dark hair from my mother and and I was upset to say that I shared the same grey colored eyes with this man. His eyes were filled with hatred and bloodlust and the sight of it made my blood run cold. Seeing the man who literally threw me aside caused a whirlwind of emotion inside of me. Zev set me down on my feet, pushing me behind him. I clutched his arm for dear life, not relying on my legs that seemed to lose some of their strength.