Twenty-Six

"Shit" you mumble to yourself, confused about why guilt was pumping through your veins. You jumped a little as you feel James' hands work their way from the top of your arms, down your sides and coming to rest on your hips as he places a trail of kisses on your neck. But as much as you wanted to turn around and be locked with his lips again, every part of you wanted to run and find Tris and you had no idea why.

"Mm should we get out of here?" he whispers next to your ear.

You snap out of your daze, shaking your head. "I'm sorry James, I really am, but I-uh I gotta go." You apologise, turning to face him.

"What why? Because of Tris?" He asks with a mix of confusion and defeat.

"I don't know, maybe, I just need to check he's okay" you try to smile. "Here's uh-" you say quickly as you search for the pen in your bag, "here's my number. Text me later, okay?" You continue, now writing your number on the palm of his hand.

"Right. Sure." He grunts, sounding quite annoyed, only making you feel more guilty.

You stand on your tip toes to quickly kiss him again, "I really did have a great night with you."

"I'll see you soon" he winks, making you feel happier that your kiss had eased the tension.

You try to walk as fast as possible in heels, not giving a damn about who was in your way. When you reach the kitchen, your body freezes from disappointment and anger as you see Tristan standing beside a worktop with some girls legs wrapped around his waist as she sat laughing and looking at him with eyes full of lust. You finally manage to take the few short steps to the kitchen, trying to not show your jealously and anger.

"Excuse me" you say politely, trying to get past Tristan to the cups so you could get another drink.

"Sorry" he laughs without even looking away from his lady friend. "Oh y/n, it's you" you stutters as he finally realises.

"Yeah, hey" you smile, trying to act normal.

"You ready to go home? The party's shit, especially the company." He groans, wiping the smirk from the other girls face.

As much as you wanted to not care, you were dying to have him to yourself, even if you didn't want anything to happen because it never could and never would. You wouldn't allow yourself to do so, but why was every inch of you aching to be his, even when you were James. Maybe it was just the alcohol. But you shrug your shoulders and nod towards the exit.